• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Working on my knife sharpening skills Pics and Video

Ti-Carbo

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
5   0
Reaction score
Hello knife enthusiasts,

I have been working on my sharpening skills for a while. I have purchased a few inexpensive knives to practice with, and I think I am getting pretty good at it.
Here is a Cold Steel Ricon 1 I have had for about a year.

Here is a Schrade SCHF14 I got about 1 month ago
View attachment 304706

And finally, here is a video of a Spyderco Manix I have had for a few years. It is approaching truly scarey sharp!
http://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/ken-man/Spyderco-Manix-Cutting_zps0ef05afd.mp4

Last edited:
I use the Lansky 4 stone diamond system to start. Then a leather strop I made with green jewelers rouge on one half and white on the other. I have 1 other strop I made that is just leather and I just use it to finish with.

I saw the Wicked Edge at the blade show and talked with the inventor. Really a nice guy and a great system. I want to get real good with my current setup. The diamond stones are ok for a decent edge. The real edge for me comes into play with the strops and jewelers rouge. I enjoy the manual process for now.

Here is a link to a vid of my Rat 3 that is getting real close to scarey sharp. [video]http://vid5.photobucket.com/albums/y165/ken-man/Rat-3_zps4d46624d.mp4[/video]

Attachments

• Rat-3.jpg
    Rat-3.jpg
    106.2 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
I have a Lansky and love it for simplicity. But when you get serious about sharpening knives, Wicked Edge is the thing. Costly investment, but seriously a step up

Agree on the Wicked Edge. I have not used it in a couple of months but just with the basic kit I was getting really good edges on some test knives just going up to 800 grit and no stropping. I have the finer stones and stropping kit now so it will be interesting to see how much sharper they get. It is expensive, but it does yield impressive results.

Back
Top Bottom