• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Workplace policy

The policy states what they "allow" people who are licensed to carry do with their weapons. As such, I would imagine that doing something else with a firearm (i.e. not leaving it locked in the car) would be interpreted as violating their policy. While not illegal, they could still face company disciplinary action of whatever measures the company feels like taking if they are found to have not left their gun locked in their car. That's my interpretation anyway.

I work in a retail store and carry every day(concealed). I handle large sums of money after hours, so I consider it to be a risk factor(as is everything these days). It is against company policy where I work, but I've done it everyday for several years. My feelings on it is that I'd rather be fired than dead!

In a strict reading:
Unlawful possession of firearms, weapons, or any other dangerous devices on CompanyX property,
This only says unlawful possession. If you are lawfully carrying under the laws of the state of Ga (assuming relative is in Ga), this would not apply.

except as provided for by the Business Security and Associate Privacy Act,
This is an exception to the first phrase. If it didn't apply, this is not relevant.

which, subject to several exceptions, allows associates who are licensed to carry concealed weapons to store firearms in their vehicles while on CompanyX property, as long as the firearm is properly concealed in a glove box, trunk, or other enclosed compartment within the vehicle.
This is only defining parts of the Business Security and Associate Privacy Act, which is not relevant (see above).

From the strict interpretation, it's only a problem if they have a policy anywhere else that prohibits you or anyone from carrying. Then it would be a trespass. That said, you're better off to ask and clarify. In an employment at will state, you can terminated without cause, so if some manager interprets it differently or just doesn't want guns around, goodbye.

Of course, none of this should be construed as legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established......

In a strict reading:
Unlawful possession of firearms, weapons, or any other dangerous devices on CompanyX property,
This only says unlawful possession. If you are lawfully carrying under the laws of the state of Ga (assuming relative is in Ga), this would not apply.

except as provided for by the Business Security and Associate Privacy Act,
This is an exception to the first phrase. If it didn't apply, this is not relevant.

which, subject to several exceptions, allows associates who are licensed to carry concealed weapons to store firearms in their vehicles while on CompanyX property, as long as the firearm is properly concealed in a glove box, trunk, or other enclosed compartment within the vehicle.
This is only defining parts of the Business Security and Associate Privacy Act, which is not relevant (see above).

From the strict interpretation, it's only a problem if they have a policy anywhere else that prohibits you or anyone from carrying. Then it would be a trespass. That said, you're better off to ask and clarify. In an employment at will state, you can terminated without cause, so if some manager interprets it differently or just doesn't want guns around, goodbye.

Of course, none of this should be construed as legal advice and no attorney-client relationship has been established......

That's how I read it.

I've worked for two previous and work for one now with very similar policies. Bottom line, tell your relative to leave firearm in their vehicle. If they carry inside and get caught they will be fired.

Your boss can tell you they dont want firearms within their business (building etc). Thats their right to do so, but just like Taco Mac, the theater in Rome, GA and many other places that arent firearm friendly the signs carry no weight as long as it isnt a restricted place. Now, you may be playing with fire when I comes to carrying into your workplace as far as termination goes, but legally you are covered as long as if or when it is found by your employer you follow their explicit instruction on its removal.

Also, your vehicle is a direct extension of your residence, you can have a weapon in your car, even in most restricted areas. It cannot leve your vehicle though. A few things to be mindful of though are prison or jail guard lines, nuclear fence lines, military bases etc. They live by another set of rules, regulations and laws. The biggest piece of advice I give any gun toter, be responsible, stay off the radar, and protect yourself however you think you shoud IAW the law.

Back
Top Bottom