• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Would you choot 'em?

There are some funny answers here... You guys make my day.

I usually won't shoot what I don't plan on eating, which is why I have not shot those danged squirrels. I do scope possums and raccoons and squirrels. I figure its good practice. I've let deer walk, just because I wanted to meet them the next season. I won't shoot a bobcat unless the owner of the property is having a problem. I pray for coyotes. I really hope to see one on roller skates with a rocket strapped to his back. Unicorns, Sasquatch, and the lockness monster get to walk. Chupacabra and werewolves are treated like coyotes. I must say that I have seen no Saaquatch or werewolves since I stopped drinking in the blind.

I did shoot one raccoon. I had dropped a deer and was waiting to see if it had any friends in the neighborhood. A BIG raccoon decided he was going to get a free meal. All I had was my 308, so.... That raccoon looked like an alien had escaped its belly. It would not have even made a good sun visor, let alone a hat.

im pretty narrow on what i'll actually shoot to where if i cant eat it and its not causing me active problems im not shooting it. Deer in season are fine, game birds are fine and hogs and yotes year round are fine though honestly if i saw yote pups i dont think i could do it. Id never shoot any type of wild cat unless they were actively giving me some major problems, also no raccoons or foxes as i've had many a good time watching them. I dont really have a problem with shooting of rodents but im not going to eat them so i dont.

A thread a few days ago reminded me of something that I find my self thinking about often while sitting in the woods hunting. I seem to spend a good bit of time wondering - "would I shoot a _________ if it walked out right now?"
For example, would I shoot an albino or piebald deer? I think so, if I had the funds available to do a mount or to tan the hide etc.
Would I shoot a yeti or a Bigfoot? I'm not sure. The movie Harry and the Hendersons pretty much convinced me that they are friendly and misunderstood creatures.
Would I shoot a feral dog that I knew to be feral that looked like a pure bred pet? Yes. Maybe
Would I shoot a bobcat (if it were in season)? I don't think so. I think that I would hope to be able to watch it for as long as possible and just enjoy seeing it.
Would I shoot a baby/young coyote? Yes. That is actually a rule that I put on anyone hunting on my place - shoot ALL coyotes regardless of age.

Am I the only one who thinks about this kind of stuff? What would you shoot or not shoot on my list? Do you have other "unicorns" on your shoot/don't shoot list?

View attachment 1224557

I would shoot yotes but my general rule is I only shoot what I would eat. Are you looking for members to hunt on your property?

I would shoot yotes but my general rule is I only shoot what I would eat. Are you looking for members to hunt on your property?
I like thinking about these things, but my rule is pretty much the same. If I can't eat it or if it doesn't eat what I eat, I don't shoot.
I'm not looking for members. It is not a huge property. I just use it for myself, family and a few close friends.

Back
Top Bottom