• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Would YOU shoot this deer?

Would you shoot this deer if you had a chance?

• Absolutely

Votes: 20 27.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 29 39.2%
  • No, let him grow and shoot him next year

Votes: 13 17.6%
  • No

Votes: 7 9.5%
  • Eat Mo' Chikin'

Votes: 5 6.8%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No, I am older and have hunted for 30 yrs. I would rather shoot a doe. Passed 3 bucks similar this season. My boys would shoot it.

V__B827.png

Reactions: MRH
Thanks all. I went ahead and pulled the trigger!

IMG_20160112_210417697.jpg

EDIT: Here's the story:

He's standing perfectly broadside from me at 25 yards. I decided things were perfect for the shot, except I had a LOT of doubt that I was going to even be able to pull my bow in the 8 degree weather. Oh well, what the heck; worse case scenario is that I run him off trying to pull and I figured no harm would come from that this time of year.

Well, I drew my bow and as I was waiting for the pain to subside from my shoulder and back so I could find my pin without a tear blocking my vision, a giant doe stepped out of the brush behind him. He turned his head to look at her, and just as I release my arrow he turned his body as well. What I thought was a perfect heart shot turned out to be a lucky shot. The arrow went into him in FRONT of the shoulder and travelled through a very small area, coming out only a few inches. The angle was so sharp by the time the arrow arrived, that I truthfully thought I had missed.

The pass-through shot promptly took up residence in the base of a tree, directly behind where the deer was standing. The two deer bolted off, but the doe stopped and looked back at the arrow after only going about 25 yards. I could not see any blood on the snow, which made me nervous, but you never know about snow because the hot blood melts its way down pretty quickly.

I climbed out of the blind, unfolding myself from my little chair that had frozen to my rear end. The shaking began as I walked to where the deer was standing when I shot. I didn't see any blood at all, and the light quality was diminishing quickly. I headed back to the house and grabbed my trusty blood-tracking flashlight (some kind of purple light) and went back to the spot. I examined the arrow and still was not very encouraged because there was only a little blood on the arrow, although it was covering the entire length of the shaft and fletching.

By this time it was dark and could not see any blood in or on the snow... until I turned on the blood light. Holy crap, I can't believe my eyes. That silly little $9.99 flashlight revealed a tremendous number of spots of blood in the snow that I just could not see before. I followed the trail back into the trees, fearing that the deer had run back down the 80 foot drop into the bottom of the ravine. Fortunately, the deer had run along the edge of the drop off and gone about 75 yards, dropping in his tracks just short of the next drop off. I was in luck... and the work was about to begin.

So there you have it... the rest of the story.

Last edited:
Obviously you are not out for only the meat, so let him walk. Personally, I would shoot him and eat him, but if you're only after horns, he will be bigger next season. Simple as that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom