• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Would you trade muzzleloader deer season for fall turkey?

Would you give up hunting deer with a muzzleloader for fall turkey with a shotgun?

• Yes, I would rather have my deer woods shot up by turkey hunters before I hunt deer with a rifle.

Votes: 9 40.9%
  • No.

Votes: 13 59.1%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
You need a TACO's or BOTH selection

Why not BOTH I'm from PA and they have spring gobbler and fall turkey either sex. Could possibly vote TACO's too, since I only
hunt turkey at Publix.

Last edited:
edit.

didn't see the yes poll. I'm conflicted. I'm gonna say no because I really like deer hunting.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting the link to the statement. The statement, however, was nonsense written to serve a political end. Managing for a surplus of game is done more to keep the squeaky wheels quiet than to conserve wildlife. This is the sort of thing we get when scientists are not in charge of scientific matters. Turkeys will change the sex ratios of offspring in response to the gender make-up of populations; i.e. if they're running low on gobblers the hens make more gobblers. If they have plenty of gobblers, the hens make more hens.

Thanks for posting the link to the statement. The statement, however, was nonsense written to serve a political end. Managing for a surplus of game is done more to keep the squeaky wheels quiet than to conserve wildlife. This is the sort of thing we get when scientists are not in charge of scientific matters. Turkeys will change the sex ratios of offspring in response to the gender make-up of populations; i.e. if they're running low on gobblers the hens make more gobblers. If they have plenty of gobblers, the hens make more hens.

The hen's don't actually 'choose' which eggs to lay, the ovary releases the next ripening ovum which then travels down the oviduct to become a fully-shelled egg, but there is a roughly 50/50 chance that the egg could be a 'boy' or a 'girl' turkey. There is a nugget of truth to the statement though.

In mammals like you and I all the eggs in a lady are by default 'female' because they all contain an X chromosome, while male sperm can be either X or Y. Thus it's the sperm (boy) that determines the ultimate sex of the offspring. XX = girl XY = boy. In birds that role is reversed, all the sperm are 'male' with a Z chromosomes, while the eggs in the hen are Z or W, so the ultimate gender of the chick is dependent on the egg.

So yes, the hens are the more important piece in the role of gender determination, but the hen herself has no conscious choice in the matter.

Shoo', I wish a female could consciously determine the gender of her offspring. I'd be making huntin' partners left and right! External cues affect hormonal levels in hens, which in turn affect the sex ratio of eggs. I did a quick search to find the study for us, but it was published years ago, etc., etc.

Back
Top Bottom