• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

WWII 1911-search for grandfather's gun

Try googling the serial number along with 1911. Not kidding. If it’s been sold in the secondary market google might find it. As the others said extremely slim chances of ever finding it.

You could try a FOIA request. The other thing is to run down different 1911 and gun specific forums and make a post about looking for it. Definitely a long shot but you never know.

You could try a FOIA request. The other thing is to run down different 1911 and gun specific forums and make a post about looking for it. Definitely a long shot but you never know.
I was looking into the national archives, but hadn't found anything so far. Will look into FOIA request. I will have definitely joined several forums today!

Best of luck to you OP! My Great Grandfather's 1911 was destroyed in a fire 10+ years ago at Uncle's house while he was deployed. My family told me that it was in mint condition but I was never shown it. Parents aren't exactly pro gun but they aren't anti gun either. Would have loved to have that in my collection. Definitely an heirloom that should stay in the family.

Best of luck to you OP! My Great Grandfather's 1911 was destroyed in a fire 10+ years ago at Uncle's house while he was deployed. My family told me that it was in mint condition but I was never shown it. Parents aren't exactly pro gun but they aren't anti gun either. Would have loved to have that in my collection. Definitely an heirloom that should stay in the family.
Thanks! Oh man, what a shame. At the end of the day, we can't take it with us, right?

Thousands were sold in the early 60's through the NRA --
Cost about $23 mailed to the door with box and papers wrapped in gun paper --
I got a 1911, my dad a 1911a1--
I have just passed them along to my sons ---

Back
Top Bottom