• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yellow perch

rad gumbo

Default rank <300 posts
Tracker
25   0
Reaction score
So, do any of you fish specifically for yellow perch? I've caught two at lake Juliette at different times. They're a pretty fish, and I read that they're pretty tasty. I'd like to get enough for a fish fry come spring. Any pointers or advice? Lures, jigs, colors, times of year, etc? Thanks.

Yellow Perch are one of the more commonly caught game fish in much of the United States. One problem with this is that many people who catch yellow perch are not fishing for them, but rather are trying to catch walleye. While I rarely eat anything except walleye and trout, the yellow perch is a delicious fish as well. I guess that I am just too lazy to keep and clean them myself. Luckily my friends often keep them and I get called in for the pleasant job of eating. If you are looking for a fish that isn't too hard to catch and tastes great, the yellow perch may be for you. Here are some tips to help you catch more yellow perch and perhaps you will catch a walleye or two as well!
Yellow perch are a school fish. If you catch one in an area, get the bait or lure back into that area and you should catch another. This is the most important tip of all as a large school of yellow perch can fill a stringer in little time.

Yellow perch feed all day and often seem to peak at midday. This means that you can sleep in and still catch enough yellow perch for a nice dinner.

The basic minnow or worm under a bobber rig works great for yellow perch. You will probably catch a lot of other fish as well, keep moving until you locate the yellow perch.

Learn to fish with multiple hook rigs. While they can be a nuisance when learning to use them, catching two or more yellow perch at a time can often be accomplished with such a rig.

When fishing with lures or baits, be certain to keep your hook size fairly small. Yellow perch will hit surprisingly big lures but their smallish mouths require a smaller hook. Remember to keep baits near the tip of the hook when possible.

Minnows are probably the most commonly used bait, but pieces of night crawlers, small garden worms, leeches, and about anything else will draw yellow perch to bite.

If you have located a school of yellow perch a simple jig can often be cast or dipped into the area and produce fast action. Even a jig with a small piece of colorful yarn attached to it is a great yellow perch lure.

Twitch lures and baits in the school to make fish more aggressive. Yellow perch will often grab the bait and swim away without a large strike. Keep the lure or bait moving and they will likely strike it harder.

Yellow perch seem to like bright and shiny things. Spinners, spoons, and colorful lures seem to work best for yellow perch.

If you are having trouble locating yellow perch you can slowly troll for them by bouncing a lure or jig along the bottom of a lake. Rocky bottoms are a great place to look for yellow perch.

Use these 10 tips to catch more yellow perch. Get on the water whenever you can to learn what works best in your area and for you. And don't forget to take a kid along.

used to catch a ton in MI, Try small jigs tipped with minnows and fish around deep water structure and rocks, weed edges etc, very similar to walleye, in fact walleye will feed heavily on perch..

Just my opinion but they are too bony for a meal unless you're starving. Little jokers are certainly blessed in the bone department with a bazillion tiny bones. It makes eating them very difficult.
They do make good bait for edible fish.

Never heard of a yellow perch. I'm not a fisherman but I've heard my dad and his friends refer to fishing for "white" perch. What's the difference (besides the obvious)?

Never heard of a yellow perch. I'm not a fisherman but I've heard my dad and his friends refer to fishing for "white" perch. What's the difference (besides the obvious)?

Most of the time when someone says White Perch they are talking about:

BassWhite.jpg
White Bass

or

white crappie.jpg
White Crappie

This is a Yellow Perch
Perch-sm.jpg

I'm sure they are other places, but the only place I have ever heard of a real concentration of them in Georgia is in the Chattahoochee River north of Morgan Falls Dam.

Thanks for the pics Bear. That's it at the bottom alright. Like I said, I've caught two at Juliette, and my brother caught one off the dock at Sinclair this past fall. Not big fish, but very pretty, and I've read that they are really good eating. Anybody have any idea what time of year they spawn around here?

Believe it or not, I've caught some Yellow Perch at the lake at Fort Yargo in Winder! Didn't know what it was when I first caught one. It took me about a day or two to figure it out after looking it up on the Internet! They were pretty small.

Back
Top Bottom