• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

You don't know what a load will do until you try it

rbstern

Hen of Fame Supporter
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
115   0
Reaction score
The deer hunting battery in our household is 308 Win, 30-30 Win, and 300BLK. Have other calibers, but that's the primary lineup. The 30-30 is iron sights, goes to the back of the safe as the leaves come off the trees and the woods open up. Left the 308 for the wife, who was planning on hunting later in the day; she's a hunting newbie, and I want her to have the rifle she's practiced with most, with the most margin for error in terms of killing power.

The last few years, I've had great success with a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK, using a hand-loaded Hornady 110 gr soft point. Ran out of those bullets, and now they are hard to come by. Only load I had on hand were boxed Remington 120 grain hollow points. They aren't marketed as hunting rounds, but with the hollow point, they are legal for deer, so I figured I'd give them a try. I've never made a bad shot with that rifle. Hunting earlier in the day, I figure the biggest risk is a 30 cal hole on both side of the deer, and it runs a bit further than I'm used to.

About noon, made a perfect shot on a 120lb doe at about 60 yards. She bled more than any deer I've ever killed. Half dollar exit hole. Blood trail was profuse. She ran about 50 yards in a half-circle and collapsed. I watched the entire run. The side with the exit wound was covered in blood before she collapsed. Sure enough, the blood spray in the last 20 yards was extensive.

300BLK is an excellent deer round at modest ranges. I've killed 6 deer with that caliber, at ranges up to 100 yards; all were clean, fast kills. I've now used two different projectiles that most wouldn't consider ideal for deer, but both have performed great.

Bottom line: Moderate velocity .30 cal is excellent for the deer woods in Georgia.

The deer hunting battery in our household is 308 Win, 30-30 Win, and 300BLK. Have other calibers, but that's the primary lineup. The 30-30 is iron sights, goes to the back of the safe as the leaves come off the trees and the woods open up. Left the 308 for the wife, who was planning on hunting later in the day; she's a hunting newbie, and I want her to have the rifle she's practiced with most, with the most margin for error in terms of killing power.

The last few years, I've had great success with a Ruger American Ranch in 300BLK, using a hand-loaded Hornady 110 gr soft point. Ran out of those bullets, and now they are hard to come by. Only load I had on hand were boxed Remington 120 grain hollow points. They aren't marketed as hunting rounds, but with the hollow point, they are legal for deer, so I figured I'd give them a try. I've never made a bad shot with that rifle. Hunting earlier in the day, I figure the biggest risk is a 30 cal hole on both side of the deer, and it runs a bit further than I'm used to.

About noon, made a perfect shot on a 120lb doe at about 60 yards. She bled more than any deer I've ever killed. Half dollar exit hole. Blood trail was profuse. She ran about 50 yards in a half-circle and collapsed. I watched the entire run. The side with the exit wound was covered in blood before she collapsed. Sure enough, the blood spray in the last 20 yards was extensive.

300BLK is an excellent deer round at modest ranges. I've killed 6 deer with that caliber, at ranges up to 100 yards; all were clean, fast kills. I've now used two different projectiles that most wouldn't consider ideal for deer, but both have performed great.

Bottom line: Moderate velocity .30 cal is excellent for the deer woods in Georgia.
I took a doe this morning using a 120 grain SST in 6.8 SPC II. 1st deer I have ever taken with the caliber. Recovered half of the copper jacket and a nice chunk of the core. It was a 44 yard shot, center of chest front on, completely shredded both lungs and dropped her on the spot DRT. It may not be the perfect round, but certainly worked well for me today. Congrats on getting it done on your end (I really like 300 BO but haven't used it to take a deer as of yet). Still thanking God for the blessing today!
20211204_104103.jpg

^^^ that looks just like my reduced re-coil loads (for Grandson) that I've recovered look
7mm08 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
pass thru chest shot entry & exit hole looks like the deer was shot with a field point arrow
not impressed with the low velocity performance of the Ballistic Tip
since, we have gone with the 139gr Hornady Light Magnum round - it does a GREAT job

Are use the exact same rifle. Dropped a deal with it last year that did the same thing as yours. Good blood trail and once she ran a little bit the blood trail was very extensive. All mine have dropped within 20 to 50 yards I was using 120 gr hollow point as well. This year I be running 150 grain federal fusion.

Are use the exact same rifle. Dropped a deal with it last year that did the same thing as yours. Good blood trail and once she ran a little bit the blood trail was very extensive. All mine have dropped within 20 to 50 yards I was using 120 gr hollow point as well. This year I be running 150 grain federal fusion.

Will be interested to read any reports you offer on the 150 fusion performance.

^^^ that looks just like my reduced re-coil loads (for Grandson) that I've recovered look
7mm08 125gr Nosler Ballistic Tip
pass thru chest shot entry & exit hole looks like the deer was shot with a field point arrow
not impressed with the low velocity performance of the Ballistic Tip
since, we have gone with the 139gr Hornady Light Magnum round - it does a GREAT job
I used 7mm-08 139 grain SST in my rifle for years, great round. Last few years I have used 140 grain Fusions. Hitting bone, 139 SSTs are devastating! Fusions I have only had personal experience with heart and lung shots. Coyote in photo was taken at 115 yards broadside with 139 SST. Entry was behind right shoulder and the exit wound was pretty wicked.
20191106_110611.jpg

Back
Top Bottom