your opinion on the smith 586 6" blue

Since no one else has responded, I guess I will. The M586 is a great shooter, more accurate than I am, althought that does not say much. Is is a no dash model? If it is, there was a recall on them that S&W is still honoring. It was more of a precaution than anything wrong with the gun. I have a M586 that I have not sent in and do not plan to send it in. If it has had the recall, there will be a "M" stamped just above the MOD586 on the crane. By M586-2 there were no issues. The M586 was designed to handle any .357 round. Buffalo bore and hand loads, it will handle the hot stuff. While I am not a big fan of the full underlug, on a 6" inch barrel it does help on the recoil. Not a lightweight Smith by any measure. Never had any problem with mine, and do not know of anyone who has had a problem with the M586. Just my opinion and my experience.

The good: It's a great gun. These are typically way more accurate than most can shoot. You can use if for hunting and SD. A nice one won't lose value and they have went up quite a bit the past 10 years. It's a classy .357 Magnum. You can shoot .38 SPL through it.

The bad: A bit of a long barrel for me but I'm biased towards shorter barrels. Ammo is somewhat expensive if you don't reload for it. For SD the barrel is a bit longer than it needs to be IMO. A nice one can set you back a bunch of Benjamin Franklins.

No I can't whup your ass with this mouse, but how's this.
i48.tinypic.com_ojov0o.gif
:whip:_______:becky:

The 586 is a great gun. Like JWC said it's accurate and will handle most any .357 load out there (more on that in a minute). If I was doing some long range pistol hunting or target shooting the 6" barrel would be the way to go. For use in social situations it's long and awkward. The 4" version is a good balance between length of sight radius, good velocity from the barrel, and ease of use in tight quarters.

The 586 will handle any SAAMI spec (factory) ammo with no problems. If you decide to reload there are loads available that were designed from the Registered Magnums and Model 27's and 28's that will beat an L frame to death. I ran six and only six through my 686 and swore off those loads in anything smaller than my Model 28 and usually reserve them for a rifle.

THey are beautiful, and fuction as well as they look. Glassy smooth actions and triggers, excellent accuracy, and a hell of a lot of fun to look at and fondle.

If I could only have one handgun it would be a 6" 686 (the stainless version of the 586). In fact it was just that for many years. The 586 is better looking, but I had the stainless because I took it hog hunting. To me the X86 is the best mid-size hunting handgun there is. Heavy enough to take (almost) any load, but not to heavy to carry all day. The full under-lug helps to steady it especially if there is a brace or shooting stick avaliable.

Ironically, I do not own one now. I do not go into the woods with handguns any more, and I have smaller and larger S&Ws for use at the range.

I think it's safe to say that as long as the gun is mechanically sound and it fits whatever you're looking for in a revolver you can't go wrong with either a 586 or a 686.

Back
Top Bottom