your opinion on the smith 586 6" blue

The OLDER 586's--"Dash Four's" and earlier--are among the BEST Revolvers that S&W--or anyone else, for that matter--have EVER made...They have the FORGED Hammers and Triggers, NO MIM parts, their Actions are usually well-fitted, they have BEAUTIFUL Blue or Nickel Finishes, the firing Pin is on the Hammer where God, Horace an' D.B. MEANT for it to be...What's NOT to like?!?!

The NEWER 586's--Dash Five's and later--are still FINE guns, but are NOT up to the higher standards of the EARLIER guns, IMHO...the MIM parts, "the Lock" and inconsistent FINISHES seem to be the biggest COMPLAINTS about the newer 586's...

If I wanted a 586 and could NOT find a Nice-Condition OLDER Specimen, I'd consider buying a New-Production gun IF I could examine it CLOSELY before buying--In other words, I don't think that I would buy a New-Production 586 "Sight Unseen"--HTH, and YMMV, of course....mikey357

wow thanks guys for more info. i'm starting to like the 586 more every minute! i was kinda hesitant on trading for it but now i'm glad i did. by the way it came with 2 full boxes of lung bustin' holler' points

wow thanks guys for more info. i'm starting to like the 586 more every minute! i was kinda hesitant on trading for it but now i'm glad i did. by the way it came with 2 full boxes of lung bustin' holler' points

Be sure to wear hearing protection. No exceptions.

FWIW, Mas Ayoob did an article on the new-production 586's in the July, 2012 "Guns" Magazine and there is also an article on 'em in the October, 2012 "Shooting Times" rag...HTH....mikey357

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smith_&_Wesson_Model_586

Being a dummy when it comes to guns, although I have a 4 inch 686, I googled the 586. This is a non copy right protected description. Also not official fact checked like Mas Ayoob and the other gun magazine articles. BTW - have they ever written ANYTHING negative in a review?

OH, YEAH!...Back in the "Good Ol' Days", Ayoob "Spilled The Beans" on the S&W Model 66's "Tie-Up" problem--when the Cylinder-mounted Gas Ring got TOO HOT during SUSTAINED FIRING and EXPANDED enough to tie up the guns--The "Powers That Be" at Smith & Wesson were SO MAD at him that he was OFFICIALLY "Persona Non Grata" in Springfield, Mass. for QUITE SOME TIME...FWIW....mikey357

Back
Top Bottom