Your opinion on the Taurus PT945

Don't do it! Actually I have no knowledge of your pistol but the first handgun I owned was a PT945 and it was TERRIBLE. It had major FTF issues and would jam every single time I used it despite a good cleaning each time. I won't be owning another Taurus... unless it's a Judge

Thought bout trying to find a judge. Nobody wants to trade my eaa 9mm with all kinds of goodies for one.

I've seen them in stainless. Real purty....

I had one a few years back and as most have stated it's a decent gun. I had never an issue with mine. Being a single stack and aluminum frame (light weight) it made a solid carry gun. Complaints? Well the sights were a bit small but ok. The big .45 ACP rocked around a bit more than I expected, light weight+higher bore axis? The trigger was nice enough and I was impressed with the attractiveness of the gun. Looking at the guts of this gun, it's easy to pick up on the not too distant Beretta heritage. It's just that it never grew on me and I wanted something else.

If I didn't need the $350 I sold it for I would have kept it. Oh well it went to a older fellow ODT member and the look in his eyes as he inspected told me it was going to a good home, you know that one a kid gets opening a coveted package on Christmas.

i39.tinypic.com_2dwgv2s.jpg

i44.tinypic.com_1412r2a.jpg

i43.tinypic.com_2r7vbr9.jpg

i39.tinypic.com_10wqkci.jpg

945 012.jpg

I too had one that I bought years ago for carry. I liked the alloy frame (weight) and the size especially the width (not too fat). The controls were easy to operate with a nice trigger and the ambidextrous safety was nice. It was also a breeze to take down and clean and the stainless and alloy finish was easy to maintain. The grips are cheap fairly soft plastic but have sharp checkering and are serviceable. It had a lot of potential and as long as it sat in a holster a drawer or on a shelf it was an OK piece to look at.
The trouble starts when you put it to use.
It was really picky about ammo and stovepipes, failure to eject and failure to feed were way too common. It would shoot Winchester white box 230gr FMJ most of the time with fewer problems but didn't seem to like Remington or Federal self defense loads and you could forget about budget (off brand) ammo entirely.I kept it for probably a decade and I tried to diagnose the problems checking the feed ramp and magazine lips (cheap stamped sheetmetal) and even buying new factory mags and couldn't figure it out. (If you send it back I'm pretty sure they run a mag of house FMJ through it and send it back marked OK) The factory magazines are expensive and not made well at all. If I remember correctly they were $45 a piece in the late 1990s. They were made of cheap thin stamped sheet metal and the cheap plastic floor plates would come off and unload it under recoil regularly forcefully ejecting the floorplate and spring and dropping ammo everywhere.(multiple new mags)
Overall I'm glad I sold mine and moved up to a (super reliable brand) for about $50 more. A G brand is well worth the $ difference and extra mags with decent capacity are only $20 a piece :) In my opinion should have been called the POS945 but I dont guess the Marketing dept at Taurus thought they'd sell as well.

PS: I did have to pull it on an attempted carjacker in Clarkston once. I didn't have to pull the trigger though (thank God) and the incident went unreported. It seems that he must have forgotten something on the stove or had to pee real bad because he left in a really big hurry without ever getting whatever it was he indicated he wanted to show me in his waistband out.

Last edited:
I am the proud owner of the 845 variety. Biggest pile I own. Have sent it back twice. Still won't cycle maybe 7 in a row. BUT...it is the most accurate center fire pistol I own.
Have often wondered the difference between the two.

Last edited:
I tried I really tried to stay away from that. I really really tried. but with $50 difference in em when I sold mine It was darn sure the right thing to do. Now I have a solid performer (G brand) that runs what I put in it and hits what I point it at. Maybe not as esthetically pleasing as a stainless pistol with external controls and a hammer. maybe the double action trigger pull is long compared to the single action but it's going to work and has every time.
I swear I tried.

"throw away that chrome plated sissy pistol and get yourself a glock."

This is good advice. A lot of folks wont listen but as they get older if they're gun guys and own and shoot a few they'll figure it out. Just easier and cheaper with less headaches to heed good advice in the first place.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom