• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Your relaxation technique

Ok, this is going to sound weird, but just bare with me.

I hate being idle, so I like to keep busy. When I want to relax I have two favorite pastimes:
1. I like to build things.
2. Shooting. (duh)

Last time I was downrange I found a way to do both. After I had already made a Tomahawk, 9 inch Bowie knife, 18 inch Kukri, and a 39 inch Katana out of scrap HMMWV armor I decided to make some new targets for our makeshift rifle range on our FOB. Using some old truck rims as a base plate I welded some 5 foot steel fence poles to the centers of the rims. Then I took some smaller diameter steel rods and welded them horizontally at the top and halfway down the vertical pole. Then, using lacing wire I took old junk brake rotors and hung them from the horizontal poles. I then spray painted the rotors bright orange. Once I was finished I took my new creations down to the range and placed them at 150, 300, and 400 meters from the firing line. When I shot the rotors they would not only audibly "ping" but they would also spin around, letting me know I actually hit my target. The best part was that the rotors always came back to rest perfectly flat so that they presented a good clean target every time, and once the rotors were all shot up I could replace them with fresh targets!

If you think that was the weird part you're wrong. While I'm doing all of this I like to listen to Norah Jones.

That's how I relax. Don't judge me! ;)

Clean guns while watching a good action movie. Or load some ammo while watching an action movie (thanks for the press, Inkdaddy...lots easier than my whackit kit!). Sized and primed about 150 .38 and .357 cases tonight while watching TV and loaded a box of .38 last night doing the same.

Ok, this is going to sound weird, but just bare with me.

I hate being idle, so I like to keep busy. When I want to relax I have two favorite pastimes:
1. I like to build things.
2. Shooting. (duh)

Last time I was downrange I found a way to do both. After I had already made a Tomahawk, 9 inch Bowie knife, 18 inch Kukri, and a 39 inch Katana out of scrap HMMWV armor I decided to make some new targets for our makeshift rifle range on our FOB. Using some old truck rims as a base plate I welded some 5 foot steel fence poles to the centers of the rims. Then I took some smaller diameter steel rods and welded them horizontally at the top and halfway down the vertical pole. Then, using lacing wire I took old junk brake rotors and hung them from the horizontal poles. I then spray painted the rotors bright orange. Once I was finished I took my new creations down to the range and placed them at 150, 300, and 400 meters from the firing line. When I shot the rotors they would not only audibly "ping" but they would also spin around, letting me know I actually hit my target. The best part was that the rotors always came back to rest perfectly flat so that they presented a good clean target every time, and once the rotors were all shot up I could replace them with fresh targets!

If you think that was the weird part you're wrong. While I'm doing all of this I like to listen to Norah Jones. That's how I relax. Don't judge me! ;)

Norah is awesome, she and Anna Nalick are on my playlist. Try Heather Nova (London Rain, Like Lovers Do, River of Life, Heart and Shoulder) and you will cry

Back
Top Bottom