• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your thoughts on Gas Masks

Rommel

Default rank <2000 posts
ODT Junkie!
43   0
Reaction score
So as I've been thinking more and more about this and been prepping here and there I seem to have left something major out of the equation: Gas Mask(s). I'm looking for one that obviously potects against the Nuclear, Chemical, and Biological Agents, but I am trying to find a filter/cartridge that also protects against riot control agents as well. I found this link below. Don't know what to think of the info so far.

http://www.nationalterroralert.com/gasmasks/

Any suggestions on what and where to buy from? A friend suggested cheaperthandirt.com. What are your thoughts? Any replies would be much appreciated. Also I am on the lookout for one that could serve a small child as well.

IMO the mask is useless with out the the rest of the suit (NBC, CBRNE) if you are in that much radiation then the mask will do nothing for you except prolong the inevitable. but as far as riot control agents it wouldnt be that bad of an idea but when SHTF i would be staying far away from cities were they would be using such agents.

IMO the mask is useless with out the the rest of the suit (NBC, CBRNE) if you are in that much radiation then the mask will do nothing for you except prolong the inevitable. but as far as riot control agents it wouldnt be that bad of an idea but when SHTF i would be staying far away from cities were they would be using such agents.

This^ I've spent way too much time in a CBRNE ensemble and the truth is the most likely scenario is a small dirty bomb that will either be ground or air burst. In that case the wind will dissipate that stuff within a couple hours and anyone upwind will have no worries. Find a nice room with good walls and decent air filters and you'll be fine. For the riot stuff, just avoid large crowds.

I have 3 masks. 1 in my car with GHB and 2 at home (1 for me and wife). I look at the masks as a get outta dodge tool. it's something that if it's needed to be used in a 6-8 hr period of getting as far away from the detonation as possible. if it's nuclear and your in the blast radius, forget it, pray to jesus. But if your hit with a chemical (whether from police or terrorists) you can slap it on and keep it on while you get out as quick as possible. I've been thinking of getting a couple of more b/c I know that I'll have 3-4 people traveling with us to our bug out spot.

i had some for sale and took for ever to sale them , seem like no body had any interest or they had to many one i guess i will get some more and try it again after this thread , you know if you order them on line your targeted as a terrerist

Well even though I live near 2 nuclear reactors (soon to be 4) and SRS I will admit that I won't be spending much time hanging around IF the grid were to go down. As stated above in that scenario it would be merely as a bug out aid. Now that I think about it I'm right next door to a Army Base. I just want something that would help (as yes Chemical and Biological Agents are indeed resilient and a suit would be advised) in the event of such. I would also like something that could stand up against say tear gas just in case the SHTF where I may have to worry about some yahoo getting ahold of such. I am just trying to maximize my bang for buck and get the best filtration I can from a mask.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom