• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Your thoughts on the Magpul bipod vs Harris?

I was legitimately told the slop in the Magpul legs was a "feature" by the Magpul rep. He also explained why but for the life of me I can't remember the spin.

I'll probably get one when I have a spare c-note (seems to be rare these days!).
My Atlas is everything I could hope for in a bipod and yes it has intentional play too.
Here is an explanation from a Magpul Rep I plucked off the internet:

"The play is absolutely intentional. You can see from the top lockout that we can absolutely remove it, but if it’s not there, you can get foot skidding under recoil. The play allows you to load the bipod forward correctly, then under recoil the firearm can rock back through the available play, preventing the hard stop and the aforementioned foot skidding tendency. Solid lockout legs that don’t have play of some kind make spotting hits and follow up shots slower/more difficult because of the hard stop. This is explained in the product video briefly. Harris has a spring bias that prevents the hard stop, Atlas has similar play in the legs, plus they are round and flex some fore/aft. We built the I-beam legs because we wanted less flex in the legs to accomplish this and to limit forward load, instead using the spring washer stack in the head to serve as a “soft” forward limit for loading. Any bipod that doesn’t have some way to deal with recoiling smoothly like this is actually a bad thing."
JUSTIN BEARD
Big Box Key Accounts Manager
Magpul Industries Corp.
1-877-4MAGPUL

"but if it’s not there, you can get foot skidding under recoil"

Yup, that was it. Thank you for saving me from racking my brain all night.

Back
Top Bottom