You're Just "Paying for the Name"

Leather goods. I buy Saddleback Leather wallets. My wife buys Louis Vuitton crap. My stuff is way better at about 5-10% of the price.

Midway range bags and rifles cases. Pretty sure they’re made in the red China. I’ve always bought on sale and I think they’re top quality.

S&B and PPU ammo has traditionally sold at a discount and I think it’s every bit as good as the standard line US label.

For starters . . .
It's tough to include LV in that argument. The value and intention isn't in utility, but in fashion and design. They are in the upper echelon in that respect. Your Saddleback leather goods will never garner her the attention her LV does, so to her it's inferior.

Midway range bags aren't bad but are they as good as Armageddon gear? Eh...not really. I have both and there's a definite difference for a small amount more money.

S&B and PPU are undoubtedly excellent, but if you need specialized performance it won't match truly high end or specialized offerings like Federal Gold Medal, Black Hills Gold or Lehigh Defense.

BBEB4924-BD0A-410F-B430-6D8D7FFA00C0.jpeg

Let me tell you from a small time perspective.
From a machinist standpoint, if it measures the same from the same material, it's the same.

I knew this guy that ran a good and dependable shop. His **** was right, but if it wasn't, you could come in and slap him in the face and he'd make it right in front of you. This man's business got so good that he expanded and had to hire people to do his work for him. Those people were not him and their name was not on the door but they represented him nonetheless and the buck stopped at him. Eventually the business was big enough that he even had someone taking the face slappings for him and he no longer needed to be seen or make face time for his customers. This made him sad that his name (Which he was proud of) was suffering to the people who fed his children and were members of his community. Because when 10s of 1000s of things go out with his name on them he should be accountable for each of them, and he is, but he is poor at answering emails and phone calls. Then the man sells his skills to other men to put their names on and he is again happy. So a man dons a shroud and hides his face to work for others, never to be seen by the public again. The man may still be there and may still put hands on but he no longer cares for fame.....

Sam Colt been dead a long time

Remember in Misery when Kathy Bates gets irate because ole boy doesn’t like the paper she bought? It’s the best because it was the most expensive! There ought to be a meme.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not especially cheap. But the saying ought to be “you pay for what you get” because you surely don’t always get what you pay for. Diminishing returns is a real thing and the sweet spot is often in the middle.

Remember in Misery when Kathy Bates gets irate because ole boy doesn’t like the paper she bought? It’s the best because it was the most expensive! There ought to be a meme.

Don’t get me wrong. I am not especially cheap. But the saying ought to be “you pay for what you get” because you surely don’t always get what you pay for. Diminishing returns is a real thing and the sweet spot is often in the middle.
The best bang for the buck may be in the middle IF you're looking for utility and not too much is riding on potential failure of the product. Not all goods have a value based on utility though, and that's where the argument get's interesting.

Back
Top Bottom