• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Youth rifle suggestions

I have a 11 year old and a 13 year old and I built one with the oldest. He loved that. I offered him a 2005 model Bushmaster XM215 ( when they were built like a tank) or building one and he choose to build one. The 11 year old got the bushy after I swapped out the 20 inch H-bar for a 16 light contour barrel so he could manipulate the gun a little better. Just the joy I see in their eye when they realize they own an AR15 is priceless. They know how to break them down to clean then and both have a 80 percent understanding of how to build one. Both of them have sat in on one of my five builds and 3 or 4 rebuilds and they really get into that. Also the ability to deck the gun out with lasers, lights, optics, switch up furniture or just add fore grips or what not is something they can do and enjoy for months to come. My vote is for the AR. There is just so much that can be done after the fact. It's not just a gift to sit in the safe until the next range session. Also with some of the prices that are out there for decent rifles I think it's a no brainer. For hunting that cartridge will do the job on anything walking around these parts.

Last edited:
Savage Rascal 22lr. It has all of function of a Mauser with an accu-trigger. Highly accurate single shot bolt action. Small and light weight. It blows the cricket out of water and about $160-$170. I have one as my pack rifle. I use an 18" machete sheath for a holster

Get a single shot 223 and teach him more about guns.No AR,DJD he's 10.

You're exactly right Biker!

For 10, they definitely need an AK, not an AR.

Here's one of my at 8...

Attachments

• Range Day 009.jpg
    Range Day 009.jpg
    487.3 KB · Views: 3
He will probably not remember building an AR with Dad very well at 10 years old. I would go up in increments from where you have started and get a Single Shot .223 (NOT A .243 which is a necked down .308). Then later a bolt action - then in several years an AR build...

I know someone that has a nice Youth Single Shot .223 for sale on here if you are in the market... :) ME, but that is not why I am saying the above.

Back
Top Bottom