• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Youtube gunsmithing...

Haha well if the steel and not aluminum it will at least be easy to clean them up. Aluminum is so soft and easy to mess up. The frame on the Kimber I did is aluminum. I just went slow and steady. It's easy to take more off but it's a pain to try and put more on lol. I'd send the guns off and have them media blasted with aluminum oxide. That should free everything up

Brass rod would be great. I've seen people try and use a live round no no no

I aint real sure a brass rod wouldn't flare out and cause a problem against a decent obstruction. Brass is pretty soft. I do know wood aint the answer and I have seen this bad advice (wooden dowel) repeated several times on the internet including here on the trader.
Some of us just gotta screw up and learn the hard way.

Last edited:
I aint real sure a brass rod wouldn't flare out and cause a problem. brass is pretty soft. I do know wood aint the answer.

Well to dislodge the round it would work. I'm not so sure about the dowel rod. You want to use brass to keep from damaging the bore. He'll try some compressed air just make sure it's pointed in a safe place

Now their is a broken dowel jammed in the barrel tight and has been for the last three years. the case is also still stuck. I'll get around to getting it to a smith one of these days. :embarassed:.

What kind of gun? Want to sell it cheap?

I like working on guns. It's simple mechanics. Most jobs I'll take on as long as I can replace parts if I hose something up.

Think about it. If you try to do a trigger job on a 10/22 and you screw it up, then all you have to do is buy a new trigger/sear from Brownells.

As long as you take your time and be patient you are on your way to saving money. Don't take on the project unless you're willing to make mistakes and pay for them.

Haha well if the steel and not aluminum it will at least be easy to clean them up. Aluminum is so soft and easy to mess up. The frame on the Kimber I did is aluminum. I just went slow and steady. It's easy to take more off but it's a pain to try and put more on lol. I'd send the guns off and have them media blasted with aluminum oxide. That should free everything up

no need to send them off i have all the equipment in my shop. only thing i wish i had that i don't is a cnc machine but i have access to one, other than that I've got it covered haha. ill blast them and cerakote them and get them running again. and i agree with most simple jobs can be done by an average joe. patience is key and don't bite off more than you can chew which a lot of people will do. remember not everyone is as bad ass as my fellow ODT brothers. the mistakes made by this guy are costly, the bore is actually coated too which could have been deadly. just a friendly if you can't do it don't watch youtube a few times and think you magically gained mechanical skills. DONT USE THE WOODEN DOWELS they break all the time!! and also remember to go breech to muzzle not the other way. I've used brass rods they'll do the job a few times then ill cut it down to replace any mars or flares in the brass. go slow and do not use real hard long hits just tap it out don't want to bulge the barrel or mess up rifling.

We all like to show our successes like my Handy dandy lefty 16" barreled 37" OAL .308 carbine for things that need shooting.( same size as a 10/22) completely a "kitchen table job" except for the threading. (left that to a pro) Handles and shoots like a dream, and this one's a one of a kind modified by me for me. started out as a wood stocked blind mag .243

But really??? I'm the only guy on ODT to screw something up to the point of needing a good smith???? Kinda doubt that, so fess up guys

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom