• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

Youtube gunsmithing...

I'll fess up . When I did the bobtail job on the Kimber the first hole wasn't lined up all the way.
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_11_08_u6ebe7un.jpg

If I had a mig welder I'd fill it and clean it up and re drill it. It bugs me cause u know it's there but it isn't structurally affected or an issue with normal operation of the pistol but it does bug the piss out of me knowing it's there lol

Dumbest thing I've done was install a ghost ring sight on my G19...WITHOUT a sight pusher..Just a brass punch, boy did it look like ****!

I'll fess up . When I did the bobtail job on the Kimber the first hole wasn't lined up all the way.
img.tapatalk.com_d_13_11_08_u6ebe7un.jpg

If I had a mig welder I'd fill it and clean it up and re drill it. It bugs me cause u know it's there but it isn't structurally affected or an issue with normal operation of the pistol but it does bug the piss out of me knowing it's there lol

Don't use a mig its a lot easier and cleaner with a tig and a drill press.

Last edited:
Dumbest thing I've done was install a ghost ring sight on my G19...WITHOUT a sight pusher..Just a brass punch, boy did it look like ****!

It can be done with a punch without destroying the finish. Use a good thick cloth or piece of leather and stop every few hits to make sure it isn't going through your protecting surface. If you can a plastic dowel works best. Or if you plan on doing more one of those $50 universal sight pushers do a decent job. Now if you're doing many buy the manufacture specific pushers makes life that much easier.

Your gun... Your choice. I've seen some amazing work by people who have great mechanical skills and analytical minds. Some folks would just rather try it themselves,and there are WAY too many people out there calling themselves gunsmiths.

Just my .02

I have done this many times. Even when I am looking to buy a certain pistol etc or not necessarily a weapon, I research it on youtube as well as the internet. If you want to know how to install X on Z, just look for it on youtube and it is probably there. But, after watching several videos of what I am interested in I always end up watching something totally irrelevant that caught my interest.

I have done this many times. Even when I am looking to buy a certain pistol etc or not necessarily a weapon, I research it on youtube as well as the internet. If you want to know how to install X on Z, just look for it on youtube and it is probably there. But, after watching several videos of what I am interested in I always end up watching something totally irrelevant that caught my interest.

[video=youtube_share;Gbik_P5zRyI]http://youtu.be/Gbik_P5zRyI[/video]

Definitely agree with ya shrek on too many people calling themselves gun smiths. I've been in this industry a while it's always a good chuckle to talk shop with people when picking up work and hear their "professional opinion" on things even funnier to hear people tell you how to fix their mistakes. My favorite one is I'm an armor for this pd so I'm a gun smith. Glorified parts changer. What started this thread was a 44mag desert eagle and a glock 34 race gun that I picked up from a shop I contract for. Whoever worked on these guns before I got them destroyed them. The guy said it was some shop that was reputable but wouldn't tell me who which leads me to believe he botched them himself. Piss poor cerakote job I mean trigger mechanism coated in both guns, gun wasn't disassembled then parts of it krylon painted on top of that then layered to hide mistakes. Tolerances are screwed in both so slides are locking up, Both guns will not fire due to firing ion hole over coated. Glock parts are dime a dozen, desert are a little harder to get a hold of since not all of them are available, so it's looking like I'll have to mill some new parts. Oh and to top it all off they lubed the guns with axel grease.

Back
Top Bottom