• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yugo SKS Cycling Issue

Sorry y’all, been out with no internet for the weekend.

It fires one round and does not cycle fully. The piston does not appear to be bent. The rifle is cosmoline free. The button for the grenade launcher setting is also not set on that setting, but I have tried both settings.

Has the gun always acted like this or did it just happen one day?

How long is your gas piston?

Does the recoil spring look bound up like it's curled or is it straight when installed?

Ok, one more final check. The recoil spring... you don't have it in backwards do you? This could cause a short stroke on the bolt. Is it in like the attached picture:

SKS recoil.jpg

I bought it a few months ago, price was good and the rifle was almost unissued-clean. Since I’ve owned it it has always had this issue. I made sure to install the recoil spring properly. The gas piston seems like it’s the right size but then again I don’t have another one to compare it to.

When I fire, it does not extract the casing from the chamber. If I operate the bolt manually and keep firing, once it heats up it will short stroke and double feed. It worked reliably when I installed the O-ring, until it blew off. I will try the paper clip trick when I get the chance.

Tikker, I believe has the right answer here. Everything you describe seems to lean toward an issue with the bolt not carrying all the way back. The O ring probably increased the pressure enough to really kick it back hard.

Can you measure the gas piston and let us know if he got it?

Thank you!

Sorry for the late update guys, got real busy with the end of the college semester and finals coming up. I just tried the paper clip mod. Took a small one and piece by piece cut it down until it wrapped perfectly around the gas valve where the gas tube connects over it, essentially in the same location that I had the O-ring before it failed. I re-assembled the rifle and took it out and it worked great, cycled just fine through about 40 rounds.

I'm gonna take it out again in a week or two and put a good bit of more rounds through it to see how the paperclip will hold up to it.

Thanks for the tips thus far, hopefully the paperclip will be the last thing I need to do. It seems like all the rifle needed was just a tighter connection between the gas valve and gas tube.

Back
Top Bottom