• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Yugo SKS Cycling Issue

mp50bmg

Default rank <50 posts
Outdoorsman
3   0
Reaction score
I have a beautiful like new Yugo SKS that will not cycle rounds properly.

I have narrowed it down to the gas system, here is what I have found.

1) I bought a $0.75 rubber O-ring at autozone and fitted it in between the gas tube and the gas valve. The rifle cycled flawlessly for about 20 rounds until the O-ring blew off from the pressure and heat. Because of this I know the issue is the gas system and not something else.

2) The gas port is not blocked in any way by carbon buildup or corrosion, and the rifle is not set to the blank firing / grenade launcher mode. It also appears that the handguard wood is a different color from the rest of the stock, leading me to believe that the gas tube was not the rifle's original one.

3) I recently purchased a new stainless gas valve and installed it. The rifle will still not cycle properly, and I do not want to keep having to put a new O-ring on every 20 rounds or so to keep this rifle going.

Before I spend more money buying parts that might not fix this issue, what is the likely cause? The only other options I really see are a new gas tube or new gas piston, but I don't want to drop $50-$100 on parts that possibly don't need to get replaced. I also want to keep the rifle as close to original spec/appearance as possible, no tacticool bubba BS.
Capturesks.PNG

Is it firing a single shot and then not cycling?

I had a Yugo once that would not cycle.

I eventually figured out that the operating switch for the grenade launcher was lacquered to the housing and even though it looked to be open, it was in fact not.

I had to soak the gun in PB blaster, heat the gas tube, and then grip the button with vice grips and eventually it opened...

Any chance you could have the selector switch on the grenade launcher stuck in the "fire grenade" position?

I found a video on youtube… I couldn't tell you what he is saying but before he launches the grenade he pushes the selector over to the middle position.

On the rifle I had the button was loose, and when it was in the position that locks in the grenade sites, the inner tube (front of the gas tube) was still set to grenade firing.

Check your button... the one he presses over to the middle with the tip of his finger... mine took vice grips and a heat gun to move, due to cosmoline and abuse.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...368577BFB220CA38E09B368&view=detail&FORM=VIRE

>take off gas tube with piston inside
>put thumb over bore in gas tube, making a seal
>Piston should slowly lower itself inside of tube and you should see it come out other side
Is the return piston clean of cosmoline? Gas piston bent?

Back
Top Bottom