• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Zippo Collectors

Firewall

Default rank <1250 posts
ODT Junkie!
61   0
Reaction score
Any other zippo collectors out there?

I got started in high school and then really cut back. I suppose its been a couple years now since I picked up another one. I lean towards the older models.

This is one of my favorites. It was made during WW2. Similar to how steel pennies were made because of a copper shortage, the composition of zippo cases was changed to contain steel during this time. So this is one of the few zippo's that a magnet will stick to (with the lighter insert removed)

lh4.ggpht.com__ojIBaX2vY5Y_Sl_eujr2bnI_AAAAAAAAEws_50KIExCFlJY_s800_IMGP0578.JPG

If I recall correctly, this one was made in the late 30's. A unique feature of this is the "three barrel" hinge. A modern zippo has a 5 barrel.

lh6.ggpht.com__ojIBaX2vY5Y_Sl_ew6YPD1I_AAAAAAAAEww_OqBpTal4AUE_s800_IMGP0579.JPG

lh4.ggpht.com__ojIBaX2vY5Y_Sl_ezKzARRI_AAAAAAAAEw0_C_ql2Mt3fKk_s800_IMGP0580.JPG

(just trying to get the hobbies forum jump started)

Last edited:
Sweet, I have a bunch of Zippos but none of mine are that old. Most of mine my wife bought me for a birthday or something like that. But I do have the one that has the Zippo car on it. And one that shows four cards of a royal flush, and when you open it, the fifth card to complete the royal flush can be seen.....I was really into poker when she bought that one.

Zippos are way cool. That old 3 barrel of yours is a gem. Love the phone number.
Did you know that Zippo owns Case knives? I'm a Case collector and a lot of the guys in the club also collect Zippos. Here's a site you should visit:
http://www.zlighters.com/
There are also a few Zippo collector clubs out there with websites and forums like the Case Collectors Club.

Last edited:
I have a few from my grandfather he got during WW2. One of them is in bad condition . I was wondering if anyone specialized refinishing them. I would like to pass them down to my son.

Zippo will repair them for free but not refinish them. I suppose it matters what it actually needs. You could have the hinge replaced and the insert replaced which would restore it to mechanically perfect condition. But, part of the collectability of them is the type of insert it has and the type of hinge. You can request the old parts back when you send it in.

I've used the warranty before and its extremely easy / simple. Just mail it to them with a note containing your address and the problem and mention if you want the old parts back. I got mine back within a couple weeks. If memory serves all you pay for is to get it there and this is good for any true Zippo (make sure the bottom says Zippo).

Found a group photo. I wanted to do this with all of them lit but didn't have enough fuel for all of them at the time. I'll have to shoot it again some day.

lh6.ggpht.com__ojIBaX2vY5Y_Sl_fWGiOZII_AAAAAAAAExk_KuwVZyvOVSc_s800_IMGP0592.JPG

This one was made in Niagara Falls plant which was open from 1949-2002. This is the only location other than Bradford PA that Zippos were produced.

lh3.ggpht.com__ojIBaX2vY5Y_Sl_er8cwaOI_AAAAAAAAEwo_ZlxQ5CeC904_s800_IMGP0577.JPG

I've still got one of the Marlboro Adventure store Zippos in the box, never used from when Marlboro could still do promo items.

Nice collection! I have a pretty large collection myself. When I moved out of mom and dad's I never brought them with me. I'll have to go over there and get them. I don't remember how many I have. Some are old, some are newer. Some are large, some are slim. Some are probably worth some money. I have some old ones that are mint with advertisements for Sinclair Oil and things like that. My aunts are really into antiques and flea markets. They would pick them up for me as well. Started when I was 13 or so. I'll get some pics up soon when I pick them up.

You have a nice collection! I have a handful of Camel Zippos. One was carried for nearly ten years, when I was a smoker. It was rotated out with a couple of other non-Camel Zippos. The brass one which I carried was the only Camel Zippo that I ever broke the seal on. All of the others are still in their tins.

Back
Top Bottom