• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

9.5 ft GA rattlesnake

Yep...it's a real rattlesnake alright. Beyond that...just another idiotic camera trick where the background being in focus due to wide angle lens giving extended depth of field causes items in the foreground to appear larger than actual size. That snake could be 4 feet long and still look like it could swallow a mini bus when photographed in this manner.

Yep...it's a real rattlesnake alright. Beyond that...just another idiotic camera trick where the background being in focus due to wide angle lens giving extended depth of field causes items in the foreground to appear larger than actual size. That snake could be 4 feet long and still look like it could swallow a mini bus when photographed in this manner.

The jacksonville newspaper article said it was 7'3"

http://m.jacksonville.com/news/metro/2009-10-01/story/huge_rattlesnake_found_near_st_augustine

I know all he snake pics are manipulated
That's why they show em in the air instead of laying on the ground next to something

I have seen the OP's picture before along with several different stories about it. The largest that I have ever seen was about 6 1/2ft long with 13 rattles and a button and as round as a grown man's arm. We had a 65 Chevy stepside truck and it draped over each side of the tailgate. My dad killed it with a slingshot, yes honestly, a slingshot. He always kept a cigar box at least 1/2 full of rocks and a homemade slingshot on the front seat where ever he went and was a hell of a shot with one.

LOL! Not again, these e-mails with "World record rattlesnake" just make me laugh. A 6 foot rattlesnake is a huge specimen, no such thing as a 9 footer.

Have you guys seen this? It was emailed to me today.

Near Midway, Georgia. 9-1/2 ft. Snake. Man’s name is Pat Long. He was sitting in a ground blind with his son and they were hunting hogs. The snake stuck its head inside the blind and Pat shot it in the head with a .22 pistol. The head is 5-1/2 inches wide. Fangs are 2-1/2 inches long. There are 22 rattles. Inside its stomach were bones of three small hogs. View attachment 239456

I use this same trick when having pics taken of the fish I catch. It is amazing what perspective can do.

Not even close to 9.5 feet. Though it is a big one.

Eastern diamondbacks are frequently found in excess of 7 feet. I've seen canebrakes pretty close. An 8 footer wouldn't raise too may eyebrows. They are big heavy bodied snakes...nothing new. nothing to get excited about. Big males like that in the area generally mean a good healthy population and fewer rats. Even at 8 feet, they haven't survived the past 65million years by taking on large hoe welding mammals for sport. They are not out trying to reduce the human population. Perhaps we should extend them the same courtesy and leave them be.

A lot has already been learned from them that helps us in ways most people don't realize. There is a lot left to learn yet and perhaps even medical uses for the venom. Southern copperhead venom was recently found to contain a protein "contortrostatin" which retards angiogenisis (creation of new blood vessels). Malignant tumors kill us by angiogenisis and rerouting our blood supply to feed and grow tumors and starving vital organs of proper blood flow. This new drug slows or even stops completely, the tumor's ability to grow. It's not a cure for cancer but it's a very useful aid in treating it. Venom research for medicine is currently in its infancy but has already turned out Byetta, a treatment for type 2 diabetes that derived from gila monster venom...other venoms are turning out promising treatments and possible cures for ailments such as fibromyalgia, lupus, .... we need these animals for the future of medicine.

Another great thing we derived from venomous snakes specifically pit vipers is the AIM-9 Sindwinder missiles. They took more than just a name from the animals. The US Airforce spent quite a bit of time, money and effort researching and studying pitviper heat pits. Thanks to their research, herpetologists also have a better understanding. What they found is that the heat pits are infrared receptors with 2 chambers. One chamber stays consistent with the snake's current body temperature. The other chamber reacts to changes of temperature as minute as 0.002 degrees Celsius. They can detect the heat from a single candle from 15 feet away. The neuro response is similar to how humans detect inflammatory pain but it is unknown still how exactly pit vipers and other snakes with heat receptors analyze the data or 6th sense from their heat pits...7th sense if you count the jacobson organ. Research from these animals led to blowing commies and other enemies out of the sky with heat seeking missiles and "Top Gun" would have been pure crap without the missile scenes.

Last edited:
Eastern diamondbacks are frequently found in excess of 7 feet. I've seen canebrakes pretty close. An 8 footer wouldn't raise too may eyebrows. They are big heavy bodied snakes...nothing new. nothing to get excited about. Big males like that in the area generally mean a good healthy population and fewer rats. Even at 8 feet, they haven't survived the past 65million years by taking on large hoe welding mammals for sport. They are not out trying to reduce the human population. Perhaps we should extend them the same courtesy and leave them be.

A lot has already been learned from them that helps us in ways most people don't realize. There is a lot left to learn yet and perhaps even medical uses for the venom. Southern copperhead venom was recently found to contain a protein "contortrostatin" which retards angiogenisis (creation of new blood vessels). Malignant tumors kill us by angiogenisis and rerouting our blood supply to feed and grow tumors and starving vital organs of proper blood flow. This new drug slows or even stops completely, the tumor's ability to grow. It's not a cure for cancer but it's a very useful aid in treating it. Venom research for medicine is currently in its infancy but has already turned out Byetta, a treatment for type 2 diabetes that derived from gila monster venom...other venoms are turning out promising treatments and possible cures for ailments such as fibromyalgia, lupus, .... we need these animals for the future of medicine.

Another great thing we derived from venomous snakes specifically pit vipers is the AIM-9 Sindwinder missiles. They took more than just a name from the animals. The US Airforce spent quite a bit of time, money and effort researching and studying pitviper heat pits. Thanks to their research, herpetologists also have a better understanding. What they found is that the hit pits are infrared receptors with 2 chambers. One chamber stays consistent with the snake's current body temperature. The other chamber reacts to changes of temperature as minute as 0.002 degrees Celsius. They can detect the heat from a single candle from 15 feet away. The neuro response is similar to how humans detect inflammatory pain but it is unknown still how exactly pit vipers and other snakes with heat receptors analyze the data or 6th sense from their heat pits...7th sense if you count the jacobson organ. Research from these animals led to blowing commies and other enemies out of the sky with heat seeking missiles and "Top Gun" would have been pure crap without the missile scenes.

That is just freakin AWESOME!!!!

Back
Top Bottom