• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

I’d like a way to easily remove an ad after a sale

View attachment 6594110
View attachment 6594111

If I run that plate through a Lexus nexis MVR search I wonder what info I’ll get.. Maybe the green jeep in the background.

To be clear, I’m not really going to but this took me all of 2 minutes to find. If someone wants to go deeper on you it isn’t hard. If your ad was actually deleted, this would have been a little tougher.
See it’s not only on our server, that’s the whole point. Every server it passes through, snatches a grab. It never goes away.
Besides what info could one possibly use in that picture they couldn’t get driving past, or down the road?

You would have to start living a hermits life deep in a cave somewhere if you are that paranoid.

See it’s not only on our server, that’s the whole point. Every server it passes through, snatches a grab. It never goes away.
Besides what info could one possibly use in that picture they couldn’t get driving past, or down the road?

You would have to start living a hermits life deep in a cave somewhere if you are that paranoid.
You’re assuming that a possible threat is local.

It’s not about being paranoid. It’s about making things harder on potential threats. Why do you bother to lock you door? We all know it doesn’t really do anything, if someone wants in, it’s only a kick away. We lock our doors because it creates time. It makes things more difficult for the less motivated and maybe they decide to move on to someone easier to prey on.

As for what info that picture provides? With that photo they have your address along other things. Seeing how many and what kinds of guns you’ve bought and see if you’re worth the time. I work in corporate security a living, specifically dealing with fraud and financial crimes. You don’t seem to have any idea how vulnerable you are to being a victim or just how high tech things are and the various way scammers, criminals and other groups are exploiting OSINT now days. Regardless if the info can be found on other sites or servers, you are making them work to source that info from those various sites and servers rather than just making it easy for them to search it all here on a single site. Much like the lock on your front door, it ain’t much but it does create time. It makes things a little more challenging so that the less motivated move on somewhere else.

Criminals are getting smarter.
https://www.audacy.com/wwjnewsradio...believed-to-be-behind-metro-detroit-robberies

I'm not concerned about that aspect of privacy --but I can see how others would be. I think it's reasonable for a buy-sell- trade website to have an easy way to eliminate all information about a transaction once it's completed.

( At least from the public view. Maybe administrators could keep this info available for some months later in case somebody complains about the transaction or says they were Gypped.)

Every server that the information passes through grabs a snapshot of it. No one “keeps” it. It’s ALWAYS kept, somewhere. Multiple somewheres. Deleting it on ODT is merely a feel good measure that makes the ignorant (and I mean that in the dictionary definition, not as a slur) feel good, when they have actually done next to nothing.

If nefarious folks are able to mine personal information from an old ad, it’s because the member was ignorant enough to place personal information in that ad in the first place. You can’t protect folks from themselves. Rather than some feels-good-does-nothing feature on ODT, we would be much better off educating folks on INFOSEC.

The guy that got scammed because he posted his phone number? After the first time, one of the Staff went through his posts and nuked all self-mentions of the member’s phone number. A month later, it happened again, and the member couldn’t understand how they got his number if we had already deleted it a month ago. Because the scammers would have screenshot or noted down the number before it was deleted.……which is most likely the case. Possibly, they were able to mine the information elsewhere, even if it was already deleted from ODT. Even though the information had already been deleted, the wrong person still obtained it and used it, AFTER the Staff deleted it.

Folks are talking here about baddies grabbing their personal information off old ads, but they’re the folks that are already too smart to post stupid stuff in their ads. So why attempt to delete it? They want their cake, and they want to eat it, too. They want to sell guns and related items on the internet, without the possibility of the government knowing that they’re selling guns and related items on the internet.

There is only 1 single way to keep non-government entity bad guys from mining your personal information; don’t post it on websites.

There is only 1 single way to keep the government from knowing that you’re selling guns and gun-related items on the internet; don’t sell guns and gun-related items on the internet.

INFOSEC is in the hands of the folks sharing the info. Don’t try and pass the buck onto the service provider, when it doesn’t even work that way.

They want their cake, and they want to eat it, too. They want to sell guns and related items on the internet, without the possibility of the government knowing that they’re selling guns and related items on the internet.
Why does that seem to bother you so much? That someone doesn’t want the govt or others to have easy access?

I’ll say it again, it is very strange how much you and other staff here are pushing back on this. Especially when as you claim, it does nothing.

Side question, were you the guy who was wanting people to have mandated training before being issued a GFL? Maybe it was someone else and I’m misremembering.

INFOSEC is in the hands of the folks sharing the info. Don’t try and pass the buck onto the service provider, when it doesn’t even work that way.
A delete button to delete an ad isn’t passing the buck. It’s not like there is a choice here not to list things and information. No ads, no site. It’s pretty simple m

A delete button to delete an ad isn’t passing the buck. It’s not like there is a choice here not to list things and information. No ads, no site. It’s pretty simple m

It’s absolutely a choice to not list information here, while still selling items.

Back
Top Bottom