• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Need scope suggestions please

Leupold made an 11.5oz 3-9x with adjustable objective. Hafta find it on ebay, etc. Is there a magnification limit?

Since you mentioned a budgetary limit, I'd suggest considering 4-H BB if the someone with smaller hands is under 15yo.
He's already shooting 4h BB. And doing well with it. But there's not anything small with this kid. He's 11, stands 5' 3.5" tall wearing a men's 11.5 shoe already. I tell him all the time "stop growing sasquatch!" 🤣

I don't technically have a budgetary limit. I want the right scope for what we're doing, the right scope that will hold its accuracy, etc.. I'd just like to stay under that $500 if I can. Because well, it's for that 11yo and going on a ruger 10/22. I don't see where spending more than that makes sense.

There is a magnification limit, but it's my understanding the scope can be over that magnifying power limit, the shooter just can't use the higher magnification . If I remember correctly It's 5x. And with with it only being 25 and 50 yard shooting, I don't see why anyone would need to go higher than 5x.

A smidge heavy maybe at 1 lb. 14 oz. but this is what a lot of "base class" NRL-22 shooters are using now.
Rifle is 4.4 lbs. That would put gun and scope at 6.275 lbs. Limit is 7.5 lbs. Leaves nearly 1.25 lbs for scope mount and charging handle upgrade. So, that should work well. Thanks!

They are a bit harder to find (Nikon stopped making rifle scopes) but I have two Nikon Prostaff Target EFR 3-9x rimfire scopes that are very nice. Better glass than my Leupold 4x (at least to my old eyes) and set up specifically for rimfire. 10 yard parallax, set up for 50 yard zero/turrets.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1009640822

If you want something that's just like a "real" scope, try the Vortex Strike Eagle 5-25x. FFP, 15 yard parallax, lots of elevation for rimfire, etc. New they are like $900 but you should be able to find them used for less, and it would be a good one as you move to longer ranges or bigger calibers.

Back
Top Bottom