• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Scotch Drinkers

Don't be a whisky snob. Blended scotch and single malts both have their place. One is not supposed to be a substitute for the other. Both are distinct spirits and both take equally masterful skill to craft. I say try several of both types, drink what you like, and avoid largely inaccurate generalizations about blended scotches. Cheers!

I'm not a whisky snob. However, I have known many persons who thought scotch tasted like vomit because they had only tried blended scotches. Once they tried a good single malt they knew how scotch was supposed to taste. Since the original post was from a new scotch drinker I took the time to give him a good frame of reference about scotches so that he would know that there are better, much better, scotches out there than Johnny Walker.

Wow. They are going to give you a $300 bottle of Scotch. There are some good blended scotches and there are some bad single malts. It's all in what you like. The idea that it is garbage, just because it is blended is stoooooooopid.

I prefer mostly single malts, but I have no problem drinking a good blend, ie: Pinch, Johnny Blue, Black Grouse (yes, it is very good), etc.

Johnny Blue is very good Scotch.

Thanks for all the opinions and advice. I will find out if I am impressed with the Blended when I go to the tasting. I am by no means a snob when it comes to Whisky and actually have an open mind about trying new ones. The only thing I have read about JW Blue label is that the youngest blend included is at least 25 years aged. I tend to drink Whisky straight and enjoy the flavor profile pure. I am not a regular drinker, but do enjoy a shot or two occasionally.

Reactions: JWC
Thanks for all the opinions and advice. I will find out if I am impressed with the Blended when I go to the tasting. I am by no means a snob when it comes to Whisky and actually have an open mind about trying new ones. The only thing I have read about JW Blue label is that the youngest blend included is at least 25 years aged. I tend to drink Whisky straight and enjoy the flavor profile pure. I am not a regular drinker, but do enjoy a shot or two occasionally.

Good attitude to have. But remember, if you decide not to keep that bottle of JW Blue, it can stay at my house! lol

Blended Scotch does in fact have grain whiskies added. Blended Malts are blends of nothing but single malts no grain whiskies added.

https://www.thewhiskyexchange.com/c/309/blended-malt-scotch-whisky?pg=2#productlist-filter

to the OP:
That said there is nothing wrong with drinking blends. There are many quality blends out there and Johnnie Walker make some good ones. Your bottle of Blue is a generous and fine expression of their appreciation of your attendance. Do not make a decision about if you like Scotch until you have tried a few different one. The styles vary much like teas.

Reactions: JWC
Back
Top Bottom