• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

SHTF ammo storage

unclear.six

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
202   1
Reaction score
What do you guys think about storing loose BOB ammo in water bladders used in hydration systems like this:

843-a.jpg

In my experience they are extremely durable, obviously water proof, and down right cheap. To me this essentially seems like creating your own makeshift battle pack.

Thoughts? :ear:

Hmmm wouldnt be a bad idea, except for how expensive water bladders are, and how you get the ammo in and out without it having to be loose packed, and the bullet tips not puncturing it from the inside. You would have to seal off the drinking tube opening also.

Hmmm wouldnt be a bad idea, except for how expensive water bladders are, and how you get the ammo in and out without it having to be loose packed, and the bullet tips not puncturing it from the inside. You would have to seal off the drinking tube opening also.

Well I was thinking the ammo would be loose packed, this would be for real emergency scenarios so to get the ammo out, take out your knife, and cut the top off. I found these things for $5 a pop which does not seem to expensive to me. You think the ammo would pierce the bag? I hadn't really thought of that. Yeah I figured for the drinking end you would screw in the straw, cut it off, and fill it with epoxy or something.

Yeah that could work, didnt know they were so cheap either. Try it out, maybe even throw some foam in the inside so it floats :)

Yeah that could work, didnt know they were so cheap either. Try it out, maybe even throw some foam in the inside so it floats :)

That's a great idea. I will get one and put it through a stress test and let you guys know the outcome. Still would like to hear more opinions and ideas, bring em.

What I did is I fill up a ziplock sandwich bag full of ammo. I triple bag it and seal and tape the opening. I water tested it and it does not go through. And it limits the ammo you need so if anything you just drop one bag and not everything. Access to it is easy, just rip the bags. Pretty good capacity, one bag fill up 200 40S&W or 120 7.62x39. The ammo isn't loose either. Ghetto, but it works great lmao.

Last edited:
What I did is I fill up a ziplock sandwich bag full of ammo. I triple bag it and seal and tape the opening. I water tested it and it does not go through. And it limits the ammo you need so if anything you just drop one bag and not everything. Access to it is easy, just rip the bags. Pretty good capacity, one bag fill up 200 40S&W or 120 7.62x39. The ammo is loose either. Ghetto, but it works great lmao.

What did you "seal" it with? Like a food saver? Or just the zip?

Back
Top Bottom