• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10/19 hunt

I’ve never done it. Been hunting since I was 9.....I’m almost 43. I’ve walked up on and killed a couple of mature bucks but never had a chance see one, plan a stalk and then kill one. Well done Cody!

Same here. Been hunting almost 30 years now. What he did was pretty badass.

There is still two VERY nice bucks out there. Couldn’t tell if this was the nicer of the 3 or not. Well, here is how my morning went. I get in the woods about 25 minutes before day light. I get situated, **** my crossbow bolt back, move some leaves out of my sitting area on the ground against a large pine tree to keep myself from making noise. I notice there are tons of deer tracks near the creek. I sit there on ODT for a few minutes.. looking left to right. 30 minutes later I decide to get up and move to a different spot to where I saw the bucks were on Tuesday. I walk probably 50 yards. Stopping every few steps to see if I see anything as I’m walking.. WHAT DO YOU KNOW THE BIG 9 PTR LOOKS UP IN SOME VERY THICK BRUSH. I stand there and we stare each other down for 5 minutes straight. Then he stops, looks down and starts to make a scrape. So then I started to bend down and then boom he see’s me again and takes off up the hill so I wait there for a few minutes to see if he comes back. Nothing.. so I keep walking and make a huge circle back towards where he ran to up the hill and I see him!! 20 yards away and we have a stare down for another 5 minutes. Could barely see him in the thick brush so I take one step to the right to where I can see him better and hes facing right towards me so I took a shot right in his chest/shoulder and he runs!!! FAR!! He probably ran 1000 yards atleast. Took about 3 hours to find him. Blood trail was massive the whole time I was searching for him. Finally got him loaded up and took him to the house to quarter him up. Don’t really have $600 to drop on a shoulder mount so I have him in the freezer to wait until I can come up with some money to get a mount done. I’m whooped!
View attachment 1831564
Damn dude nice.

Saw this guy this evening. I was hoping Lawn and Tree Barber Lawn and Tree Barber was going to send me one of his!

19144.jpeg

19145.jpeg
19143.jpeg
19142.jpeg

Every deer I’ve shot has been from the ground! And boy do I love the adrenaline rush from the ground!
I have killed several from the ground also...major adrenaline rush. And nothing feels better than outsmarting one on the ground...

In fact I will hunt on the ground tomorrow for part of the day. This time of year with all the leaves still on the trees I can actually see farther when I am on the ground.

Back
Top Bottom