• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

10/19 hunt

There is still two VERY nice bucks out there. Couldn’t tell if this was the nicer of the 3 or not. Well, here is how my morning went. I get in the woods about 25 minutes before day light. I get situated, **** my crossbow bolt back, move some leaves out of my sitting area on the ground against a large pine tree to keep myself from making noise. I notice there are tons of deer tracks near the creek. I sit there on ODT for a few minutes.. looking left to right. 30 minutes later I decide to get up and move to a different spot to where I saw the bucks were on Tuesday. I walk probably 50 yards. Stopping every few steps to see if I see anything as I’m walking.. WHAT DO YOU KNOW THE BIG 9 PTR LOOKS UP IN SOME VERY THICK BRUSH. I stand there and we stare each other down for 5 minutes straight. Then he stops, looks down and starts to make a scrape. So then I started to bend down and then boom he see’s me again and takes off up the hill so I wait there for a few minutes to see if he comes back. Nothing.. so I keep walking and make a huge circle back towards where he ran to up the hill and I see him!! 20 yards away and we have a stare down for another 5 minutes. Could barely see him in the thick brush so I take one step to the right to where I can see him better and hes facing right towards me so I took a shot right in his chest/shoulder and he runs!!! FAR!! He probably ran 1000 yards atleast. Took about 3 hours to find him. Blood trail was massive the whole time I was searching for him. Finally got him loaded up and took him to the house to quarter him up. Don’t really have $600 to drop on a shoulder mount so I have him in the freezer to wait until I can come up with some money to get a mount done. I’m whooped!
View attachment 1831564
That's a hell of a nice buck and a great hunt. Congrats, man!

It sure was!! I was shaking bad! Thanks man!
I'm very familiar with that twisted gut feeling you get when tracking a big deer after the shot. In the first pics of him he was still alive. Did you just wait for him to die or were you able to get another arrow in him?

I'm very familiar with that twisted gut feeling you get when tracking a big deer after the shot. In the first pics of him he was still alive. Did you just wait for him to die or were you able to get another arrow in him?
I left my crossbow back where I shot him. He was alive but very hurt. He dropped dead after 5 minutes of me watching him 20 yards away.

Back
Top Bottom