• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/22 triggers and mods

SpeedyR

Default rank <3000 posts Supporter
ODT Junkie!
124   0
Reaction score
Have a couple of 10/22's. As my daughter gets into shooting I'd like to set one up for her. I've got some options for stocks but after doing a lot of of reading, I'd like to play with the triggers to have a nicer pull for her (and on mine).

I read thru rimfire central but most of the threads there are no photos any more showing things like how to do your own trigger job, modify/smooth the bolt, etc. Anyone have links to current sites that might have info? I've got good sharpening stones to clean up internal parts, but not knowing where to start is an issue. I did modify her bolt release and that was a good step in the right direction.

Just buy a BX trigger, or I see Brimstone is doing tier 2 and 3 triggers again. I recall there was someone in north GA (Blue ridge?) area that was doing a nice trigger job on the 10/22 triggers?

I just put volquartsen sear and springs into my 77/22 along with bolt shims, and that was a nice upgrade. Something like that for the 10/22 is what I'm after but not putting something like 2 Kidd triggers in the 10/22's...

Current setup- hers is older 10/22 stainless receiver (1994 production), TacSol SBX barrel, Hogue overmolded stock, metal trigger housing w/ Bushnell 3-9 scope. Mine is Magnum Research MLR22ATUT threaded barrel that's totally stock except Nikon EFR rimfire 3-9 scope in DNZ mount. Both have rubber buffers but that's about all

Unless you just want to DIY you will not find a nicer trigger than a KIDD. I did the DIY with volquartzen parts for years. It's easy to do. The big thing is don't replace the safety, that part sucks to do without the tool and is kinda not worth the cost of admission for a "better" one

Unless you just want to DIY you will not find a nicer trigger than a KIDD. I did the DIY with volquartzen parts for years. It's easy to do. The big thing is don't replace the safety, that part sucks to do without the tool and is kinda not worth the cost of admission for a "better" one
The Kidd triggers are nice but $350x2 just sin't going to happen unless she really gets into the 22lr game and even then I'd probably rather move to a bolt r700 pattern rifle for precision work (bergara in an MDT chassis or CZ AT-One or something like that).

The Kidd triggers are nice but $350x2 just sin't going to happen unless she really gets into the 22lr game and even then I'd probably rather move to a bolt r700 pattern rifle for precision work (bergara in an MDT chassis or CZ AT-One or something like that).
I hear ya. Just get a parts kit and do it yourself. Nothing wrong with the factory housing. The only hard part is getting the stupid spring between the sear and disconnector but it's far from impossible.

I’ve built a lot of 10/22s. The VQ target hammer kits on eBay are close to $20 each when you buy two, and hands down the best investment short of going with a Kidd trigger. Search for “VOLQUARTSEN Ruger 10/22 22LR 22M TARGET HAMMER KIT VC10TH” or look for similar items with the hammer and springs.

edit: a better search term is “Volquartsen Target Hammer & Bolt Release for Ruger 10/22 - Black” and the price is now $25 each if you buy two. Still a great price for a good trigger.

C186F53E-7E28-4595-8464-6DDF161E1118.jpeg

I’ve built a lot of 10/22s. The VQ target hammer kits on eBay are close to $20 each when you buy two, and hands down the best investment short of going with a Kidd trigger. Search for “VOLQUARTSEN Ruger 10/22 22LR 22M TARGET HAMMER KIT VC10TH” or look for similar items with the hammer and springs.

View attachment 5376177
Very nice collection! I want to add a charger to my collection. I see a lot of similarities (my stainless was an international/manlicher to start, I have a stainless folding stock somewhere, original collector low serial number, and my MLR).

edit: a better search term is “Volquartsen Target Hammer & Bolt Release for Ruger 10/22 - Black” and the price is now $25 each if you buy two. Still a great price for a good trigger.

View attachment 5376177

Is it worth the extra $20 for the EDM finish on the trigger? Looks like the difference in the $25 vs $45 trigger is the EDM trigger vs. ground on the less expensive trigger. I'm fine with the $45 trigger if it's better.

I guess what I'm trying to figure out is if the $25 Volq eBay trigger, $45 EDM Volq, or the $85 brimstone tier 2 trigger is worth the money compared to stock or BX trigger?

Back
Top Bottom