• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/28 Hunt

I feel like I always learn the hard way. It's not a bad thing I guess. It builds resilience.
I made all the mistakes first, years ago. I didn't want to say anything bad about your scope or mount. There are a lot of people that like the Vortex. On a 22, I might use a mid range scope. But on that 45-70? At 7lbs that rifle has to have some recoil. That said, you need a good set up. I put a lot of effort into getting it just right. One because I want to be able to trust it. The other is, I don't want it to move....any. Because of the recoil, I'd go with a Leupold VX 3 or better with a Leupold single piece mount. And use a drop of Loctite blue on all screws. Once you get it zeroed, go out once more to make sure it's on. Then you should be good to go. I've had scopes loose zero and or fog up. My mid range scopes are Redfield or Nikon. I haven't any trouble with those except for the adjustments aren't uniform. At long range, that's a problem.

I made all the mistakes first, years ago. I didn't want to say anything bad about your scope or mount. There are a lot of people that like the Vortex. On a 22, I might use a mid range scope. But on that 45-70? At 7lbs that rifle has to have some recoil. That said, you need a good set up. I put a lot of effort into getting it just right. One because I want to be able to trust it. The other is, I don't want it to move....any. Because of the recoil, I'd go with a Leupold VX 3 or better with a Leupold single piece mount. And use a drop of Loctite blue on all screws. Once you get it zeroed, go out once more to make sure it's on. Then you should be good to go. I've had scopes loose zero and or fog up. My mid range scopes are Redfield or Nikon. I haven't any trouble with those except for the adjustments aren't uniform. At long range, that's a problem.

I like nikons but they stopped making them. I'll get the leupold and the 1 piece mount. I have more than 2 grand in this rifle. I am going to get it right.

Oh and if I intend to hunt with a particular gun that season, I always take it out and shoot it to make sure everything is still good. As another thought, try different types of ammo and bullet weights to see what shoots the best in a particular weapon. You could be surprised at the difference. Find what works and stick with it

20231108_180837.jpg

New mounts. New scope. All screws torqued to spec with blue 242 on the threads. I'll sight it in tomorrow. Gonna put it through its paces.

Back
Top Bottom