• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

10/28 Hunt

I might have missed it in the pages on this topic - what position was the deer in when you took the shot - broadside straight on, broadside angled to or away, quartering?

I think shoulder shots are dangerous because if you are off forward from broadside you hit brisket and neck, and either can end up with a deer moving off without a trace. Quartering away and you can miss the lungs and possibly even the shoulder depending on angle.

The other question I have is I thought somewhere you said you saw the hole in the deer - you kept eye on scope and saw the puncture?

Have you target shot same firearm from same distance since, to see if scope is off?

I did think I saw a hole but I wasn't looking through the scope. That was me looking at him running away through the brush. If there was a hole there he woulda ran off dead legged and he did not. I shot my rifle last night and it was all over the place. It was dead on 3 weeks ago and has not been bumped around. It's a vortex crossfire with vortex mounts torqued to spec. I'll be replacing both this week. I'll buy a leupold vx and better mounts. I'll put 20 rounds through it with the new scope to make sure it's perfect. I only did 8 with the vortex but I had it dialed right in. If changing the scope doesn't get the results I'm looking for, I will change ammo. I've never had issues with hornady ammo but I've heard stories of others having issues. This won't happen again. I do get buck fever like most but I've learned how to mostly control it by focusing on that little spot I'm trying to hit. Shoulder shots can be great if you hit that bundle of nerves there. Kills em drt. I'm not in the business of wounding deer and I'm not flippant about my responsibility as a hunter to do right by these animals. I will pay whatever it costs to fix this issue with my rifle so it will not happen again. In the meantime I'll use my 308 or my shotgun. I know they are good. After reflecting for a couple days, walking through every spot that buck could have possibly gone, and shooting my rifle, I believe it was a clean miss. I do believe it's a problem with the scope or the ammo.

I hope he shoots the rifle and checks out the rings and scope real good.
If he torqued that vortex to more than 18 inch lbs it probably bent the tube and isn’t any good.
I had a vortex scope mounted by someone else torqued to 25 inch lbs and it wouldn’t stay on zero.
Vortex replaced it under warranty but told me there scope’s could only be torqued to 18 inch lbs.

I torqued it to specs on the box. I'll let someone else mount the new leupold I'm buying this week. I love this rifle. It's my pride and joy. I will get it right.

We all need to live and learn from our experiences. I told my kids that I've been down most of the roads and know most of the turns.... and it's sure nice to be able to learn from someone else's hard knocks and not your own.

We all need to live and learn from our experiences. I told my kids that I've been down most of the roads and know most of the turns.... and it's sure nice to be able to learn from someone else's hard knocks and not your own.

I feel like I always learn the hard way. It's not a bad thing I guess. It builds resilience.

FYI, here's a scope company that make excellent scopes for the money.

I might have missed it in the pages on this topic - what position was the deer in when you took the shot - broadside straight on, broadside angled to or away, quartering?

I think shoulder shots are dangerous because if you are off forward from broadside you hit brisket and neck, and either can end up with a deer moving off without a trace. Quartering away and you can miss the lungs and possibly even the shoulder depending on angle.

The other question I have is I thought somewhere you said you saw the hole in the deer - you kept eye on scope and saw the puncture?

Have you target shot same firearm from same distance since, to see if scope is off?
No no no no (all 4 of ur posts) I strongly disagree! Over analyzing this man’s hunt does no good at all. You sound like an armchair analyst/perfectionist.He obviously knows something went wrong and I believe from his posts in the past he knows how to shoot/hunt. Everyone should know if you do this long enough something will happen, there’s so many variables that you cannot control, bullets, stands, scopes and live deer. No one wants to lose a deer to a misplaced shot or complete miss, not being able to find a deer that you think is down is disheartening to say the least. It’s good that you take your son hunting and always seek to make the perfect shot but also teach him that sometimes shyt happens. Deer don’t always stand still and wait for you to shoot them, one twitch at the last second can produce a miss and it may not have anything to do with the gun or the shooter! I’ve been hunting/shooting all my life but I always learn something every time I go in the woods, sometimes the hard way.

I don’t call many people B S artists, but I really do find it hard to believe that you or your son have NEVER fired a shot at anything and always dropped it dead at the time of impact !!!!! I have killed deer with a heart shot , confirmed at field dressing, and the deer still ran off several hundred yards. I have also double lunged deer and they have ran off and was tracked several hundred yards. So don’t give me the “perfect “ shot placement argument. You sir are only as great as you are in your mind!!!!
No. Not "ALL". I understand, I think, your intent. But no, not every hunter has missed nor has every hunter gut shot. Period.

I say this because I think it is a dismissive and paints poor shot placement as acceptable because it happens to all hunters. When in fact it does not.

My boy is with me on most hunts and many deer come and go not because we are trophy hunting but because we not 100% certain of the shot, and we have zero desire to wound an animal. Discipline and respect should rule our fingers when we're on the string or trigger. Not buck fever or excitement.

When possible neck shots get it done! 93F3BBDE-E482-43ED-8F6A-26D0DF7172D2.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom