• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

11 19 AM

poopdaddy

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
498   0
Reaction score
went out this morning, little late start got in the stand at dawn just before sunrise. let off a buck bomb and chilled out. wishing i was earlier, and regretting stopping at the gas station for a berry Danish. i sat enjoying the beauty of the woods. then something i have not seen since we lived in WV. a owl flew in front of the stand, about 20 feet from me. he landed on a tree and hung around for about 20 min. i could not get a pic, another tree was in the way.. i had a feeling it was good luck. about 745 two does crossed a creek about 50 yards out, but did not stop long enough to get a shot. they wandered thru the thick brush and hopped across a trail with just a flash. so i set back again and a little after 8 another doe, same place, same thing. around 830 a heard something walking off to my right, a little yearling. so i watched it wander into the property that butts up against the land. about 15 min later a heard another walking my way from the field. figured it was the yearling coming back. it looked small, but i figured i would look at it thru the scope. i cross hair it and what do ya know.... a nice 6 point, he was just walking in a low spot. i followed him and he walked quickly into a opening of a food plot. he was quartered away and did not stop, as he was about to step into the brush, i gave he a loud grunt. he stopped and turned just enough, got him just behind the shoulder and it came out his chest. he ran a little and jumped a creek, but did not make it all the way across. when i field dressed him the round went right thru his heart. i always pray for a clean kill just before i fire. i always feel a little sad and very thankful after a kill....
i processed him with the help of my dad and we pulled a little over 50 lbs of boned meat.
i was Gonna take dad over to a buddies house to get one, but he was a little tired. maybe tomorrow. dad cant walk much with his copd, and my buddy has a field full every night and a nice covered shooting table over looking the field.... maybe tomorrow or next weekend...
pics in a 2nd. did not get one of him before we started processing. i forgot....
thanks for looking
good luck to all
Bob

IMG_20231119_183120.jpg
IMG_20231119_183117.jpg
IMG_20231119_183112.jpg

Back
Top Bottom