• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12/2 hunt.

IMG_3243.jpg

My 4yr old hunting buddy and I sat in a ground blind this evening with koolaid and skittles. Walking in we found a spot, but I told him to stay put while I topped the ridge to look at the other side. I liked it a little better so I motioned for him to join me. We set up the blind and settled into our bag chairs. After about 30min, my son looks at me and says daddy we need to go back to that other spot. When I asked why he said "I just have a good feeling about it." Normally, I don't take hunting advice from a 4yr old, but we packed everything up and moved back down to where I asked him to stay put. Within an hour, he was asleep and I was looking at a nice mountain buck at 70yds and closing fast. After I shot the Ruger compact 260, I chambered another and glanced over at my boy. He didn't even flinch with his Walker Game ears on. I had to wake him up to tell him we got one. He did a great tracking job and the drag began. He's already talking about where it is going in his bedroom. I sure do have it way better than I deserve. Thank you Lord! 16" inside and 18.5" outside spread main frame 8pt that is about as symmetrically perfect as I've seen.

View attachment 1894947
My 4yr old hunting buddy and I sat in a ground blind this evening with koolaid and skittles. Walking in we found a spot, but I told him to stay put while I topped the ridge to look at the other side. I liked it a little better so I motioned for him to join me. We set up the blind and settled into our bag chairs. After about 30min, my son looks at me and says daddy we need to go back to that other spot. When I asked why he said "I just have a good feeling about it." Normally, I don't take hunting advice from a 4yr old, but we packed everything up and moved back down to where I asked him to stay put. Within an hour, he was asleep and I was looking at a nice mountain buck at 70yds and closing fast. After I shot the Ruger compact 260, I chambered another and glanced over at my boy. He didn't even flinch with his Walker Game ears on. I had to wake him up to tell him we got one. He did a great tracking job and the drag began. He's already talking about where it is going in his bedroom. I sure do have it way better than I deserve. Thank you Lord! 16" inside and 18.5" outside spread main frame 8pt that is about as symmetrically perfect as I've seen.
Congrats,if you don’t mind ask him where I need to hunt tomorrow.

View attachment 1894947
Congrats on a nice deer!

I had a rough one last night.
Took a chance and headed to that spot where that buck lives.
Unfortunately the rain came down on me relentlessly BUT that buck grunted at me while it was pouring so he was so close to my ground blind that I heard him over the rain.
Of course I could not see him as he’s a slippery bastard.

Now for the miserable part.
My buddy met me up there but came in the woods after I was already in my spot.
He told me where he was going to be but he never came out of the woods after dark and would not answer his phone so I got pretty nervous and went looking for him.
Luckily he stayed put near the area he was hunting.
I found him on the ground madder than hell.
Turns out his headlamp died as he was walking, slid down a steep hill and his foot went into a rotten stump hole and he twisted his ankle badly.
His cell phone was also dead.
I had to carry him out of the woods and it was not fun at all with the steep grades and rain.
I was able to slide him down the hills and help him limp on the flatter areas till I got to a spot I could fireman carry him without killing us both.
I kept telling him to have two backup flashlights always but he was in a hurry to get in the woods and did not have any.
I have to go back for his climber and backpack today as I was too worn out to go back up the mountain last night.
He wouldn’t let me take him to the hospital and he was able to drive himself home.
Rough night.
2 is 1, 1 is 0

View attachment 1894947

Awesome! Congratulations on a great buck and taking your son on the adventure!

View attachment 1894947

Great story, thanks for sharing. And of course, congrats!

Congrats,if you don’t mind ask him where I need to hunt tomorrow.

LOL

View attachment 1894947

"Out of the mouths of babes".............................

Awesome cat 24on48hunting 24on48hunting ! Congrats!

Thats a nice one. Congrats

Thanks fellas. It was a neat experience for my Son. I was a little nervous making the recovery with my Son in tow, but we circled uphill (wide) and approached the cat from above. I figured being above it would prompt it to retreat back downhill if it wasn’t already dead. It wasn’t moving very fast as it went uphill initially, so I felt that this was the best course of action. I saw the cat run into a huge, rotten blowdown oak tree up above our stand and it never came out. It was hit pretty good judging by the way it ran off and I was certain that it wouldn’t last long before expiring. Sure enough, it ran the length of the blowdown and was lying in the open at the top of the blowdown’s branches. It took a while to find it, but only because I opted to do a visual scan from above, at a safe distance away.

Back
Top Bottom