• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12/22 Update: I need a GOOD boat mechanic.

Let us know what the problem was.
I'm going to go pick it up and put it on the water in a little while to see for myself, but he said that he was having trouble finding the harness and wanted to try one more thing anyway.

He disconnected and cleaned all of the connections in the harness and it worked. Neither of us think it's as sure a fix as replacing the harness, but it could be and we also know for sure what the issue is if it reoccurs.

Apparently, as of right now, the motor is running flawlessly.

This also might make sense with the timing of the issue. While the first mechanic had the boat, I had the motor cowling repainted. He didn't have the cowling for the last six weeks he had the boat. If he left the unprotected motor exposed to the weather, I'm thinking it could have caused the problem.

Well, it's still not running right. I text the Owner of the shop while I was on the water. He and the lead mechanic actually came to the lake and met me at the dock. Their idea, so they got some points for that.

They finally agree that it's a fuel problem, which I have said I thought it was on several occasions. I will also say that the work they did on the wiring harness did improve performance as far as starting and running more smoothly at low RMP. It's only after the motor has been running for a while or when I open up the throttle that the problem initially shows up. However, once the problem starts it gets progressively worse.

The owner said that it couldn't be the fuel filter/water separator because they had changed it. Then his mechanic informed him that he had not changed it. The owner definitely gave him a "we're going to talk about this later" look. Oops.

There's also the possibility it is the VRO. Hmmm, wonder where I've heard about that possibility? Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of disconnecting it and manually mixing the fuel. It is integral with the fuel pump, so if it's bad, it has to be replaced. Also, both of them believe the oil mix is correct from looking at the amount of smoke and examining the motor.

BTW, even though I could not run to mark Stripers, I did manage to catch a good Spot and a pretty good Channel Cat using the electronic trolling system, which is working perfectly.

I've never caught a Cat on Lanier before and he came 15 feet off of a 60 foot bottom to take a live Blue Back.

Back
Top Bottom