• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

12 gauge cost vs savings

Like most have said if you are loading 1 or 1-1/8oz lead loads you aren't going to save a measurable amount of money. However my OU really like 3/4-7/8 oz loads. The only place to reliably buy these for an ok price is Dicks, who I refuse to shop at. They also cost less since they use less shot.

There are ways to find cheaper shot. I found 60 lbs on craigslist for $30 a while back from some guy that bought it for speaker stand weights. You can also get some cheaper if you buy reclaimed shot. Check the local clubs in the area and see if anyone is doing a group buy. Shipping gets cheaper when you get to pallet quantities.

you give me way too much credit... forced to reload by necessity. thanks for the kind words my friend!

I have recently gotten into sporting clays and have thought about whether or not it would be worth reloading my own shells. From what I calculated last night there was little to no savings with 12 gauge. Has anyone found different and if so what are you using? Thanks in advance

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Although I am selling my press & components, it is for health reasons that I don't shoot as much. I have reloaded literally 1000's of 12ga. Savings? Never really entered my mind. Enjoyment of it & teaching my kid to reload not only shotshells but centerfire, priceless. That being said, why wait for "gunclub deals" when you can sit down at any time to crank out a flat to your liking & if you shop around, you can get good deals on components to save a little money.

Short answer ... It's not worth it.

I have reloaded tens of thousands of 12, 28 and 410 shells. I have all MEC 9000G loaders and can crank out close to 500 an hour on 12 and 28. The 410's go a little slower.

A few years back I was shooting up to 10 rounds of sporting clays a week, plus some 5 stand and skeet added in sometimes. At the time, lead was $20 for 25 lbs. It was cost effective to reload 12 ga back then given the amount I was shooting and the cost of lead. Also, at the time, you couldn't get the 100 round boxes of Federals like you can now.

I still load my 28 and 410's, they are still cost effective. Plus I have a couple hundred pounds of shot left from way back. Every now and then on a cold rainy weekend, I will set up the 12 ga and crank out a couple hundred just for the hell of it. But I only shoot the 100 count Federals from Wal-Mart now. I just bought 2,000 rounds (20 boxes) a few months back. I have spent ton's a cash on AA's and Remington STS's over the years, but found that I really don't see any difference in my scores over the cheap Federals.

this is what you need to know^^^^^^^^ i bought a 1000 pounds of 9 shot about 15 years ago for 11.00 a pound and im almost out when its gone i will buy 12 ga shells, 28 and 410 you still save money loading, I do load some strong shooting hunting shells cheaper than you can buy them but thats about it for saving money on 12 ga

I've looked at this over the past 30+ years ... unless you shoot something other than 12 or 20 Gauge, YOU WILL NEVER, E-V-E-R COST-JUSTIFY RELOADING SHOTGUN ... PERIOD, EXCLAMATION POINT X 1000!
For lead loads I agree. But, for a waterfowler it is a different story because of the steel requirement. I can load much better steel loads myself than what are available in the stores and for much much cheaper.

When I was a reloader of rifle and pistol calibers, I never reloaded shotshells.
The economics just didn't work out.
I'm happy buying 12 and 20 gauge ammo in 100-round packs at big box stores for $22 or so, when I need low-brass birdshot.
And I don't use enough steel shot, turkey loads, or other kinds of premium hunting loads to justify reloading those. I'll just buy them and grit my teeth as I fork over the money.

I've looked at this over the past 30+ years ... unless you shoot something other than 12 or 20 Gauge, YOU WILL NEVER, E-V-E-R COST-JUSTIFY RELOADING SHOTGUN ... PERIOD, EXCLAMATION POINT X 1000!
Buying at current prices, for bird shot, this statement is true for 12 and 20 gauge. However if you obtained shot back before prices went up or got a good deal on it, you can load cheaper than buying bird shot. However, if you are going to field loads, you can save $$ even at current prices. That $22 for 100 rounds is for bird/target loads. Also, if you are setup, then you can tailor load Turkey shot and buck shot however you like and you can definitely save money doing that.

Even if you cannot save $$, some of us reload just because we can, we enjoy it. There is satisfaction knowing that you are shooting something you assembled yourself.

Rosewood

Back
Top Bottom