• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

135 gr .40 S&W - Anyone have penetration stats

Zombie

Default rank <3000 posts
ODT Junkie!
136   0
Reaction score
Looking to load some .40 S&W rounds with Nosler 135 gr JHP (sorry if this is the wrong forum, feel free to move to reloading). But I can't find any penetration data on this load in ballistics gelatin, other than some provided by Underwood which I don't exactly trust given that they sell their own load. I would prefer to load with the 150 gr JHP, but can't find any of that in stock anywhere. Thanks for any help!

I think it would be close enough to the FBI minimum.

I read an article that had Mas Ayoob talking about an officer involved shooting with a 135 gr. loading and the result was impressive.

Here is what he had to say:

In his "Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery (5th ed.)", Massad Ayoob comments on the .40 S&W 135 gr. JHP:

"When the first field shooting report came in, it was from a coroner's office asking what sort of explosive had been put in the bullet! Striking in the abdomen a man who was attempting to stab a police officer, the 135-gr. JHP had flung him back and to the ground. He was clinically dead within 10 seconds, a result not explainable by an abdominal wound, however massive this one was."

The .40S&W 135 gr. JHP is hot with nominal muzzle velocity of 1300/fps. Massad goes on:

"Its 10-inch wound depth, however wide the wound, does not excite police who want their ammo to pass FBI 12-inch penetration/barrier protocols, but is ideal for armed citizen self-defense scenarios as they generally unfold."

Last edited:
I think it would be close enough to the FBI minimum.

I read an article that had Mas Ayoob talking about an officer involved shooting with a 135 gr. loading and the result was impressive.

Here is what he had to say:

In his "Gun Digest Book of Combat Handgunnery (5th ed.)", Massad Ayoob comments on the .40 S&W 135 gr. JHP:

"When the first field shooting report came in, it was from a coroner's office asking what sort of explosive had been put in the bullet! Striking in the abdomen a man who was attempting to stab a police officer, the 135-gr. JHP had flung him back and to the ground. He was clinically dead within 10 seconds, a result not explainable by an abdominal wound, however massive this one was."

The .40S&W 135 gr. JHP is hot with nominal muzzle velocity of 1300/fps. Massad goes on:

"Its 10-inch wound depth, however wide the wound, does not excite police who want their ammo to pass FBI 12-inch penetration/barrier protocols, but is ideal for armed citizen self-defense scenarios as they generally unfold."

Wow that is impressive. 10" is what I was thinking based on the SD. I'm not convinced the FBI requirement of 12" is the end-all-be-all, so might go with these. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom