147 grain 9mm?

Or split the difference and go with the Hornady “Critical Duty 135 gr +p. Good enough for the G

I’ve been looking hard at this load. It’s a helluva performer.

Thinking of getting a group buy together to purchase bulk and get a pricing break. Retail is around $1/round.

I’ve been looking hard at this load. It’s a helluva performer.

Thinking of getting a group buy together to purchase bulk and get a pricing break. Retail is around $1/round.
I'd be interested. At retail I go with Hornady but if you can get a price break I'd buy a few mags to load with CC and use the others for target / training.

In the past I heard
Heavier bullet = more recoil
Lately I've been seeing people say the opposite.

Could someone elaborate on this?

The felt recoil impulse is different.
With a 115, for example, the recoil impulse tends to be more "snappy".
124grn a little less so unless shooting NATO loads then it is closer to the feel of a +P
147 is more of a push then a snap.
It took me longer to recognize this when I started shooting 147grn but now when I pick up some 115s and shoot that I immediately notice the difference since I predominantly shoot 147gn now.

In the past I heard
Heavier bullet = more recoil
Lately I've been seeing people say the opposite.

Could someone elaborate on this?

Recoil is a function of the mass (weight) the bullet and velocity. If velocity is constant, a heavier bullet will recoil more. If the heavier bullet is slower you have to calculate the muzzle energy.

So strictly speaking, both the statements in your original post are incorrect.

The weight and type action affect felt recoil, as the different guns with different weights and actions will have different felt recoil with different weight bullets. This is a subjective observation. A lot of people find light weight, high velocity bullets to be too "snappy", even though a heavier bullet at the same velocity produces more true recoil.

Recoil is a function of the mass (weight) the bullet and velocity. If velocity is constant, a heavier bullet will recoil more. If the heavier bullet is slower you have to calculate the muzzle energy.

So strictly speaking, both the statements in your original post are incorrect.

The weight and type action affect felt recoil, as the different guns with different weights and actions will have different felt recoil with different weight bullets. This is a subjective observation. A lot of people find light weight, high velocity bullets to be too "snappy", even though a heavier bullet at the same velocity produces more true recoil.
Kind of like how some people find 45acp to be a "softer" shooter than a .40S&W?
It is really the nature of the recoil vs the actual force of the recoil that is being compared?

Kind of like how some people find 45acp to be a "softer" shooter than a .40S&W?
It is really the nature of the recoil vs the actual force of the recoil that is being compared?
Yes. A better example is recoil reduction devises in heavy recoiling rifles. I'm not talking about muzzle brakes. They redirect recoil, though the energy remains the same.

There are two primary devises used. A specially designed recoil pad like the Sims and what's called a mule. This is a spring loaded weight that is installed in the stock. Neither of them reduce recoil at all, but they lengthen the recoil impulse, so it is more manageable. Instead of a sharp kick, it makes it more of a hard push. Thus reducing the perceived intensity of the recoil to the shooter.

The design, weight and action type of any firearm alters the perceived recoil.

Back
Top Bottom