• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Shooting a 380 cartridge in a 9mm pistol

i have done it in my p89. it wont cycle the slide, but you can cycle it by hand and it will shoot...
the 89 may not be a perfect example though. its a tank, i have held Jericho 941 mags, smith mags, berretta 92 mags in the mag well and it will cycle them to empty, but it wont lock back the slide.... i am pretty sure if i chambered a rock, that thing would fire it.....

I never imagined that a question about shooting a 9mm short in a 9mm pistol would cause so many people to hyperventilate.

To those of you who peed their pants, please accept my most sincere apology.
Now, get out of the fetal position, off the floor, and try to get a handle on your nervous shakes.
It will all be alright.

I didn't realize that shooting a 9mm short in a pistol designed for a 9mm was suicidal - a cartridge with the same size projectile with maximum pressures that is about 50% of the pressure of the cartridge being replaced not to mention many of the pistols being designed for +P and +P+ ammo and huge design safety margins on top of that.

I never imagined that a question about shooting a 9mm short in a 9mm pistol would cause so many people to hyperventilate.

To those of you who peed their pants, please accept my most sincere apology.
Now, get out of the fetal position, off the floor, and try to get a handle on your nervous shakes.
It will all be alright.

I didn't realize that shooting a 9mm short in a pistol designed for a 9mm was suicidal - a cartridge with the same size projectile with maximum pressures that is about 50% of the pressure of the cartridge being replaced not to mention many of the pistols being designed for +P and +P+ ammo and huge design safety margins on top of that.

I aint givin no apology. I put a 380 thru a G19. It worked . I hit what I was aiming at. It stovepiped from llack of power to cycle.

Would I do it again ? Yes, if all I had was 380 ammo and a G19.

I have had a salesman from a company in the balkans bring me their glock clone for me to test out. He was hot to trot to sell them and accidentally provided me with magazines loaded with .380 to test in this 9mm pistol. After attempting to shoot a mag I look at the ammo to realize it was .380. it was a sweet bolt action pistol I had no interest in ordering for the store lol. Forgotten weapons did a hysterical video on those guns.

Nothing really dangerous about it. Problem is, rimless cartridges head space on the end of the case so, maybe the cartridge gets pushed a little deep and the firing pin won't set off the primer or maybe the extractor holds it in place and it shoots just fine. I wouldn't think twice about doing it with a 9mm revolver that uses moon clips.

Am I wrong or isn't 380ACP a slightly larger diameter than 9x19? Maybe I'm remembering it wrong and it's 9x18 Mak that's larger diameter.
Anyway I would feel safer ( less disastrous)! shooting 380 through my CZ82 in 9x18 Mak. Years ago I did that in a Baikal Makarov without issues..so I just assume the CZ82 would do the same.
That's the Makarov. Russians and Germans weren't best buddies, even then. Russians didn't want the Germans to be able to use their ammo.

A 9mm cartridge (9X19) projectile is .355" in diameter, oddly enough the .380 (9X17) is .355" diameter. 9mm Makarov (9X18)is .365" diameter. The case wall of the .380 is thinner than the 9mm.

Back
Top Bottom