• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

15 minute Handyman job

Takes a good bit longer than 15 minutes. Then if it's an older model, it's likely to strip out.

The water heater is five years old and still appears as new as the day it was put in. If I'm wrong, you tell me where I go wrong:

1) Use the key and shut off the water outside (I have that) and open the valve at the bottom, draining off some of the water so that it don't come out the hole where the pressure release valve is

2) take the CPVC pipe off the release valve (this is taking a plastic nut off with an adjustable wrench

3) It might require two pipe wrenches (I only have one) to take out the pressure release valve

4) Slap on some plumbers dope on the pressure release valve and screw it into place.

5) Put the CPVC back onto the pressure release valve

6) Turn the water back on

You may have to cut the gas off and back on before starting. Other than that, I cannot imagine what would be time consuming.

Some time it's the water regulator pressure valve and the pressure is high enough to trip your hot water heater valve. Might want to go outside and check how much pressure is coming out of one of your water spigots before replacing the valve on the hot water heater.

At the bottom of the water heater is a spigot. The pressure in the water heater is 45 PSI. It's okay until 60 PSI according to Georgia Natural Gas.

At the bottom of the water heater is a spigot. The pressure in the water heater is 45 PSI. It's okay until 60 PSI according to Georgia Natural Gas.

At the bottom of the water heater is a spigot. The pressure in the water heater is 45 PSI. It's okay until 60 PSI according to Georgia Natural Gas.[/QUOTE
Yea, 45 PSI is fine and up to 60 PSI is no problem. That's good news because the valve on the water heater is less expensive than the other one.

Back
Top Bottom