1903 springfield( rock island) question

Status
Not open for further replies.

bearpugh

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
144   0
Reaction score
need info on a rifle. its a 1903 springfield made at rock island. its not original, completely custom. was my dads before me. but due to my health it just sits. awesome deer rifle. 30.06 with custom stock and weaver scope. i see them for 1500 bucks original but have no idea on a sporter. anybody?

$1500 for an original 1903? CMP sold them a year ago for less than $600, many of which were 100% original with all "correct" parts. A sporterized 1903 is worth at most $400-$450

A real M1903 "Springfield Sporter" in orginal condition and in decent shape will fetch over $2000 and more.

All Springfield Sporters will have receivers made at Springfield Armory or Rock Island Arsenal. All will have polished bolts numbered to the receiver. All will have four groove RH twist barrels with the Orndance Corps flaming bomb stamp and the maker and date behind the front sight. The correct rear sight would be the "long slide" Lyman No. 48. These rifles were made at Springfield Armory and beautifully fitted and finished.

If it has a scope mounted, it has likely been drilled and taped thereby destroying any collector value. The bolt handle has probably been modified as well.
If it has a good bore and decent stock, $300 isn't bad, but I wouldn't put much, if any money in it. A very few of these were done up by some talented tinkerers.

no. he may be right. heres some pics. th_Picture076.jpgth_Picture077.jpgth_Picture075.jpg

Last edited:
its not original, completely custom

Is this kinda like me saying I have an original M16 trigger guard on my fully custom AR15 so that means I can sell it for $10k?

What exactly has been changed so we can get a better idea what's what?

ive never seen them actually sell for $1,500. I see them on gunbroker listed for near that much but they never sell for that. CMP has better examples for much cheaper. Doing a "sporter" to it kills the value.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom