• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 Full Length Guide Rod???

244   0
Reaction score
I know there are tons of opinions on this, looking to hear some more. Is there any advantage to a Wilson Combat full length guide rod in a 5” Government 1911? Specifically, a new model Colt with the dual spring recoil system. Is the WC FLGR an upgrade or is it a downgrade to the dual spring system? Thx ODT

Yes/No

Take down is more difficult..till you get use to it.

Also FLGR can change the recoil impulse a bit...but most shooters will not notice it.

Dawson Precision use to make a few nice ones.

I prefer the GI rod. I do not need any of the marketed benefits of the full length rod.

However, if the gun is only used as a target gun, a two piece rod with an Allen Wrench takedown design is nice, provided you carry the Allen wrench in your shooting bag. You will need the tool to tighten the rod when it comes loose, as well as to field strip the gun.

Be aware that -as far as I know- all full length guide rods are two pieces, and they can come apart at the most unexpected times. If you look closely, you can see the joint.

Also, be aware, not all guide rods are interchangeable or created equal. I have seen some minor differences lock the gun up. And, I have seen at least one tungsten guide rod break at the back end.

I particularly do not like the full length rods that require twisting the barrel bushing with the barrel fully locked up-in battery. The bushing will turn easier if you can push the slide back out of battery a 1/4 inch or more.

Google: full length 1911 guide rod types.
Select images, and you will see several types of rods.

I would not bother changing the rod in a new gun, unless I was planning to use it for self-defense. Buy ammo.

Back
Top Bottom