1911 Project, Update.

FrogMan

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
96   0
Reaction score
Found this little puppy wondering around the ODT recently and decided to give it a home :)
anyway as you can see the finish is a bit rough, I don't know if Taurus made them this rough or more likely it has been refinished before so I figure this is as good a time as any to do my first 1911 refinish/customization.

What I'm currently thinking is to refinish the lower in a similar color it currently is int.
1. what finish material do you guys recommend?
2. Do you know of a shop that could strip the old finish for me and or refinish it?

On the slide I'm thinking of doing the slide in ether polished or brushed stainless steel.
1. Do you think the slide is made of stainless steel?
2. what is the best way to find out if it is stainless?

Currently Im thinking of keeping the rest as is apart from changing the front sight to a normal dot, but i may venture into changing out trigger or something else what would you recommend that does not break the bank?

i48.tinypic.com_33bh374.jpg

Last edited:
Im thinking of either ceracoating the lower or parkerizing it in a light grey that I have seen on some m1 carbines. I dont know how to do ether so instructions or recommendation of shops that can do it for you would be great.

Try Tyler over at Georgia Gunsmithing. They did my S&A arched magwell that I have on my WC 1911 and its been 100%. It's taken a beating and looks pretty close to the way it looked when I got back from them.

Here's my 1911 (two tone) with the ceracoated magwell.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1361591073.704514.jpg

As far as finding out if the slide (or any metal) is stainless or carbon, the easiest way is simply find a bare spot inside the slide, and swab a drop of cold blue on with a Q-tip. If it darkens, even a little, not stainless.

Magnet. Stainless is not near as magnetic as carbon steel. Check the frame too, if it's aluminum, and you are wanting to stay silver, just glass blast it then a Matt clear ceracote.

As far as finding out if the slide (or any metal) is stainless or carbon, the easiest way is simply find a bare spot inside the slide, and swab a drop of cold blue on with a Q-tip. If it darkens, even a little, not stainless.
Ill give that a try if i can find some cold blue.

Try Tyler over at Georgia Gunsmithing. They did my S&A arched magwell that I have on my WC 1911 and its been 100%. It's taken a beating and looks pretty close to the way it looked when I got back from them.

Here's my 1911 (two tone) with the ceracoated magwell.
View attachment 165567
wow that is sweet, can i ask how much the ceracoate put you back?

Magnet. Stainless is not near as magnetic as carbon steel. Check the frame too, if it's aluminum, and you are wanting to stay silver, just glass blast it then a Matt clear ceracote.
Great Idea on the frame :), ill give the magnet a test as well

I took her to the range today and I kinda liked the sights even though I find the front takes away from the looks so im not sure what I'm going to do with that. Overall it shoots great actually better and more comfortable than the colts I have had so far but not as good as my Springer so I'm not sure if she is a keeper yet but I suspect that it will be once i have started down the road of customization :)

Most likely its carbon steel. If you polish it and have it blued it will look amazing
yes that is more than likely going to be the case :) just wasn't happy with the quality of the finish so i figured i would experiment. I hadn't really considered bluing it but do you know of a good shop that does that?

Back
Top Bottom