1911 Project, Update.

Yea I have had 4 of the taurus pt1911s the finish sucks. I had a rock Island cerakoted and it looked good. It realy depends on what kind of look your going for. Cerakote is going to be a flat and if you polish then blue it will be a gloss to high gloss. If you media blast and then blue it will be a mat finish as well. Cold bluing I have found to be almost a graphite color. But its very hard to get an even finish with cold blue. Or atleast it was for me.

slide is not stainless so I sanded and polish the sides of It and then blued it with Birchwood perma blue.

after sanding and polishing
IMG_4786.jpg
After bluing.
IMG_4791.jpgIMG_4793.jpg

I'm not sure if i happy with the finish, blue is not as even as id like it to be so I may retry with different brand blue the Birchwood would not evenly distribute on slide but gathered in droplets kinda like rain of a newly polished car. and yes i had cleaned the slide prior to bluing to break cleaner.

Frogman, good job so far. Ive found its pretty hard to get an even finish with cold blue on such a large area, but here are some things that work for me.

After soaking in brake cleaner and thoroughly dry, heat with a heat gun till its almost too hot to touch, then swab om the blue with a cotton ball in even swipes. Wipe off the excess, then lightly scrub with 0000 steel wool, most of the blue you just put on will come off, but whats left is a fairly even coat and a nice shine. Just repeat the process 5 or 6 times till it stops getting darker. Coat in oil and let it sit over night. Cold blue will eventually rub off, but you can get a decent finish with it.

please tell me reassembly is easier than it looks :)
IMG_4795.jpg

Partially stripped and blued frame, washed all parts in break cleaner and will be applying warm froglube during assembly

And done, well almost I still need to find some new grips that fit the color scheme better and find a new front sight.
IMG_4799.jpg

Last edited:
I'm am pretty happy with how it turned out but I do have a ceracote idea that i want to try out also so im ether going to get another one or i might redo this one.

Hey Frogman, can't find my thread with the Colt pistol. My computer or my internet service has been down since around 4:00 pm yesterday and I wanted to make a clarification about the pistol in my ad not being a military issue but according to a very knowledgeable 1911 forum member it is all Colt and it is very old. If you check this send me an email where I can find my ad and tell everyone I screwed up. Thanks Garrell

Back
Top Bottom