• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

1911 recoil spring gauge.

jeep78

Default rank 5000+ posts
The Hen that laid the Golden Legos
36   0
Reaction score
I was wanting a way to check recoil springs, as I have several and had no idea if they were 12lb or 21lb, or what.

I know, Brownells has a tool you can buy, but I was not wanting to buy yet another one use tool.

I looked at how they were made and some writeups on home brew versions, and went to my hardware collection.

These are stupid easy to make, the only critical measurement is the "standard length" used to measure spring compression .

What I did was take a piece of 3/8inch ID pipe about 9" long. Then cut a piece off and filed it to 1.625" (the spring must be compressed to a size of 1.625” inches when taking the measurement ) . This is for the Government size, Commander is .5" shorter.

Then put that spacer on a long rod and drop it into the 3/8 pipe. I had a 20" long bolt with threads on just the end. Mark the bolt where it clears the pipe, and file a witness mark there and highlight it with some paint.

Next, drilled a 1/8" hole in the end of the bolt so I could attach a fish scale.

To measure a spring, remove spacer, replace with spring and drop it into the 3/8 pipe. Pull to witness mark and read weight on scale. It helps to have a known spring to practice on so you get the hang of it.
This is accurate enough to tell one spring from another.

One thing this setup does is identify springs that are too long. If your recoil spring coil binds before the "measured length", it will damage your bushing lug and cause accuracy problems as it loosens. I did have one spring that was too long.

I know this may be clear as mud, but will post a pic tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Thought there was no interest.

Here it is.

013.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg
013.jpg
014.jpg
015.jpg

6" is field reject min length, so is marked on barrel. 6.5 is recommended in use length (for 5" barrel).

If you look close, you see 2 paint filled marks on the shaft. These line up with the end of barrel at proper compressive length for measure of spring strength, one for gov't length, the shorter one for Colt Commander length spring.

The barrel and marked shaft are a matched set. Would need a newly marked shaft for a different length barrel.

The measured spacer is where you start, once you have cut that to length, then marking the shaft is simple.

I am interested, just found your post this morning.
Been meaning to make myself a gadget to measure springs for years just haven't done it yet. What kind of pipe are you using? Can I find it at Lowes?

Thanks,

Rosewood

I am interested, just found your post this morning.
Been meaning to make myself a gadget to measure springs for years just haven't done it yet. What kind of pipe are you using?

What happened to the thread on the bolt?

Thanks,

Rosewood

Bolt was way long, cut it shorter with a hacksaw.

The pipe and bolt came from a commercial bread rack like you see in a bakery. I have "several" spares and am happy to provide what you need.

PM me if you head toward Locust Grove up 75. :thumb:

Here is my version. Cpvc and a steel rod from lowes with a washer welded on top. Longest 1/4" bolt they had was 6".

Attachments

• 392018165856.jpg
    392018165856.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 7
Same idea, should work fine. 6" should be plenty long, just have to compress a bit before hooking up scale.

Back
Top Bottom