• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hammer is not dropping on its on, but it will drop and fire from cocked and locked condition but only with the grip safety disengage
Someone fit a new safety and hit it with a file 1 too many strokes it sounds like. There is a fine line between a properly fitter safety and one that doesn’t work.

Sounds like an improperly fit thumb safety.

It doesn’t have a threaded barrel, by chance?

I’ve actually seen 1911’s purposely set up to fire with the thumb safety engaged. I was training with a SEAL Team in the Philippines and they had some 1911’s modified to fire with the thumb safety engaged. They did this so they could fire suppressed and not get the sound of the slide cycling.

I asked about the modification, and they showed me the mods that were performed to only the thumb safety.

May not have been done intentionally on your 1911, but the cause will be the thumb safety.

I’ve actually seen 1911’s purposely set up to fire with the thumb safety engaged. I was training with a SEAL Team in the Philippines and they had some 1911’s modified to fire with the thumb safety engaged. They did this so they could fire suppressed and not get the sound of the slide cycling.

I asked about the modification, and they showed me the mods that were performed to only the thumb safety.

May not have been done intentionally on your 1911, but the cause will be the thumb safety.
That's very cool. And a good idea. Too bad I no longer own a 1911 but cool and effective nonetheless.

Thanks for that story CM. Never heard that one. I would expect that setup would beat the hell out of the safety notch on the slide and safety. I am surprised that it does not bend the safety after a few rounds.

Doesn’t the thumb safety on a 1911 actually slip into a slot on the slide? How in the hell could this thing fire without destroying the slide or safety?

No sir no threaded barrel. So the intentional mods that were shown to you, is that a reversible quick at home fix or is it one of those 4:45am, 5 forums and 12 how to YouTube videos dremel go buuuurrrr type deal? Asking for a friend

Doesn’t the thumb safety on a 1911 actually slip into a slot on the slide? How in the hell could this thing fire without destroying the slide or safety?
Yes the thumb safety engages and disengages manually just fine. The thumb safety drops itself when cocked and locked, grip safety disengaged and trigger pulled just like as if you were to fire it. I've only live fired it one time, I obviously noticed it strangely enough soon after I swapped out the grips.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom