1911's: Am I the only one that can't fall in love with them?

So the newest Generation 1911 pistols ARE NOT 1911s... but they are 1911-ish

Technically, yes. As NGIB has said, a lot of the purists will get their panties all in a wad if you call something a 1911 that isn't in sync with JMB's original schematic. A lot of guys will say "1911 style" or "1911 pattern" pistol. For me and my house, it's a 1911.....unless it's a Para LDA - then it's an abomination before the Lord and should be killed with fire....or something. ;)

Fair enough....but, typically speaking, fanboys don't earn a living with their tools....that's what makes them fanboys.

I don't earn a living with my guns either, monte, willr1 etc will tell you glock is the almighty because they earn a living with their gun. Where I have to wonder is why our military carries sig, hk etc when they depend on their sidearm if glock is the "all mighty"

So the newest Generation 1911 pistols ARE NOT 1911s... but they are 1911-ish
If you are talking external extractors and all the other nonsense then yes.These two are 1911s.

attachment.php
attachment.php

This is not.
attachment.php

I don't earn a living with my guns either, monte, willr1 etc will tell you glock is the almighty because they earn a living with their gun.
That was my point...guys who use their tools for a living aren't fanyboys.

Where I have to wonder is why our military carries sig, hk etc when they depend on their sidearm if glock is the "all mighty"
Typically speaking, national organizations have a little bit larger bottom line than local organizations. LE carries Glock because they are the least expensive, most reliable pistol they can afford. Nothing else.

That was my point...guys who use their tools for a living aren't fanyboys.

Typically speaking, national organizations have a little bit larger bottom line than local organizations. LE carries Glock because they are the least expensive, most reliable pistol they can afford. Nothing else.
That and sig said oh well when I told them my 4 year old night sights are dead on one side. I love the feel and shoot ability of sig, but their cs is a far cry from Glock.

But it all boils down to ford vs chevy bs.

1911's suck. Nobody should buy one. Everyone who owns one should have it melted down for scrap. Since I'm such a nice guy I will pay you scrap prices plus $20 for all of your 1911's. :D

Technically, yes. As NGIB has said, a lot of the purists will get their panties all in a wad if you call something a 1911 that isn't in sync with JMB's original schematic. A lot of guys will say "1911 style" or "1911 pattern" pistol. For me and my house, it's a 1911.....unless it's a Para LDA - then it's an abomination before the Lord and should be killed with fire....or something. ;)

There is a practical aspect though. A big draw to the 1911 is the ability personalize and upgrade stuff. It would be irritating to buy a "1911" only to find out that no available cool stuff fits it.

There is a practical aspect though. A big draw to the 1911 is the ability personalize and upgrade stuff. It would be irritating to buy a "1911" only to find out that no available cool stuff fits it.

On the same token though that's where a lot of the misconceptions on the 1911 being unreliable come from; Kitchen table gunsmiths that replace a bunch of parts and don't know how to properly fit them. I personally won't buy a 1911 that has had ANY work done to it unless they have the paperwork to prove that it was done by a well known and competent Gunsmith that knows the 1911 platform.

I have owned a LOT of 1911s over the years. At one point, I had about a dozen and was able to note differences in them that I wouldn't have noticed if I wasn't running them at the same time. Most notably that steel frames were far superior to aluminum. Steel absorbs the recoil and made follow up shots easier and faster resulting in much tighter groups. I had a nice Colt and a stainless Sig that I thought were that cat's meow. The others.. RIA A1 clone, RIA Tactical, High Standard, Springfield etc...I just didn't like them at all. I never had any feeding issues or malfunctions of any kind out of any of them. Then comes the game changer... I bought a Dan Wesson CBob with all the Match grade and Ed Brown goodies from the factory. I wasn't sure I liked the funny looking grip at first...Till I shot it. Trust me, 8 rounds is plenty. This gun is incapable of missing. I sold/traded off every other 1911s including the Colt and Sig because even the Colt and Sig were firmly buckled in to the back seat for life as far as I was concerned.
I'm not saying that CBobs are for everybody or that they are the best made 1911s. I'm saying that there are so many variations out there that if you have shot a Taurus or an RIA or maybe even a nice Colt and decided 1911s just aren't for you...Try something with a steel frame. Try a bobbed grip. On the other hand, if you have tried a steel frame and didn't handle it well, maybe a lighter aluminum frame is more your style. It's one of those platforms that you may have to kiss a few toads to find your prince or princess. I carry my CBob most of the time when I carry. Sometimes a Glock 23 or a .357 5 shot revolver ...but mostly it's just me and Bob.

Nothing shoots like the .45ACP cartridge, and no .45ACP shoots like a 40oz single-action-trigger-wielding hunk of steel known as a 1911. Personally, I love them, but I don' think they are "better" than any other pistol generally speaking.

Back
Top Bottom