1911's: Am I the only one that can't fall in love with them?

I find the 1911 to be the best "looking" handgun. great shooting, great triggers..... etc.... Something about the cocked and locked makes me squeamish.

i carry a g26. I seem to feel better with the internal safeties. I am sure lots of people will disagree.

I find the 1911 to be the best "looking" handgun. great shooting, great triggers..... etc.... Something about the cocked and locked makes me squeamish.

i carry a g26. I seem to feel better with the internal safeties. I am sure lots of people will disagree.

Internal safeties?

I'll chime in on the OP's comment and question about 1911s. Yes, they're beautiful. Yes, they're a part of American history and military history. I'll also add that the single-action trigger system is excellent for accuracy and fun to use for plinking or target shooting. The long barrel on the full size 1911's make them especially easy to shoot, which I like.
The modern 1911s come with good sights, even though I don't think the typical 1911's of several generations ago were as good as they should have been with regard to sights, beveled mag wells, polished feed ramps and chambers, opened ejection ports, and other things we take for granted today as factory standard.

My main beef with 1911's as a carry pistol are these: (1) light, short, single-action trigger that mandates the use of a manual safety when carrying it, which is ONE MORE THING to remember to take care of if you have to draw in a hurry (and the safety can get bumped to the "fire" position by accident as you carry it and it shifts within your holster or rubs your clothing. I've had it happen to me on a couple different 1911s and similar-pattern guns).

and (2) Ammo capacity IN RELATION TO THE GUN'S SIZE. I don't necessarily think 8 rounds is not enough, and I'd be happy to carry 8 in a compact handgun that conceals easily and is light, but for the bigger .45 pistols, I'm comparing 8 rounds of .45 to 12 or 14 rounds of .40 S&W, and I think the .40 has a definite advantage there.

AMMO PRICE: That's a legit issue, but not the biggest one in my book. Not for me, because I don't shoot that much anyway, any more.

I think 1911's are the "beautiful art" of the gun world. They can be just drop dead sexy. You just want to hold it in your hand. If a 1911 had boobs and a vag**a most men wouldn't need a woman.

Aside from looks and history looking at things practically it boils down to a single question....

You are being deployed to a combat zone. What do you take the 1911 or the Glock?

1911's are great and I will own several when I have more money than sense. The fact of the matter is that I need something to go bang *EVERY*SINGLE*TIME* I pull that trigger no matter what. I have NEVER experienced any failure with a Glock. I HAVE experienced failures with 1911s from RIA to Nighthawks. While they were VERY few and far between that was enough for me. This is of course anecdotal but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5:1 ratio of failures in the 1911 vs Glock. Sorry reliability means more than looks. If I was being shot at nostalgia and every other intangible goes out the window.....as it should.

P.S I love the 45 soul killing one shot stop shenanigans that is always taking place.

Aside from looks and history looking at things practically it boils down to a single question....

You are being deployed to a combat zone. What do you take the 1911 or the Glock?

1911's are great and I will own several when I have more money than sense. The fact of the matter is that I need something to go bang *EVERY*SINGLE*TIME* I pull that trigger no matter what. I have NEVER experienced any failure with a Glock. I HAVE experienced failures with 1911s from RIA to Nighthawks. While they were VERY few and far between that was enough for me. This is of course anecdotal but I wouldn't be surprised to see a 5:1 ratio of failures in the 1911 vs Glock. Sorry reliability means more than looks. If I was being shot at nostalgia and every other intangible goes out the window.....as it should.

P.S I love the 45 soul killing one shot stop shenanigans that is always taking place.

1911. never experienced a failure with any of my 1911s and they ran the spectrum from a RIA 10mm to my current Les Baers. Never experienced a failure with a Glock either.

I won't beat the whole WW1,WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc combat proven thing into the dust ....wait...

1911. never experienced a failure with any of my 1911s and they ran the spectrum from a RIA 10mm to my current Les Baers. Never experienced a failure with a Glock either.

I won't beat the whole WW1,WW2, Korea, Vietnam, etc combat proven thing into the dust ....wait...
Very true. However, those 1911's are not the same 1911's being made today. Those 1911's were loose fitting guns. The ones made today are very tight tolerance builds which makes them more likely to have problems when they get a few mags through them. And the fact that they use alloy frames and steel uppers. The metals don't expand the same. Also, the smaller a 1911 gets the more problems they seem to have. My opinions are solely based on experience. I have never had a Glock or Glock "inspired" pistol malfunction. I will admit that I have owned ONE 1911 that actually never malfunctioned and it was a RIA Compact 45acp. I have also had a Sig p229 never malfunction (alloy lower and steel upper) so there are reliable pistols out there that will go the distance but I believe they are very few and far between.

Last edited:

Like I said my experience with 1911s is just going to be anecdotal the same as yours. You really think the 1911 would have STILL been chosen if the Glock equivalent was available at the time? Absolutely no freaking way would any general worth his salt make that decision.

Back
Top Bottom