• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

1991 ford ranger overheating

enforcer

Default rank <100 posts
Hunter
9   0
Reaction score
I have a 1991 Ford Ranger that has been overheating and Im looking for some help....Here is the story:

About a month or so ago, i noticed the vehicle was a little hot but not overheating. A few times I could hear what sounded like bubbling coming from the radiator area. I noticed a few times I lost some fluid, but not much in the radiator. On several occasions the resevoir was empty. I replaced the fluid as necessary several times but didnt notice any leaking. I replaced the thermostat and nothing changed. I then noticed that the resevoir would not empty into the radiator when it got hot or any other time. I also noticed that i was leaking fluid from underneath the water pump. I replaced the water pump today and it seemed to make the problem worse. I drove the vehicle for about 20 minuites and it completly overheated. Fluid was coming out from the area of water pump and it was real hot, couldnt quite tell from where exactly. The resevoir didnt drain at all again. Now, im not going to claim to be the worlds greatest mechanic but I have alittle skill. I feel I did the water pump and thermostat job correctly. Im going to break it all the way down and double check my work just to be sure. Can anyone give me some advise on what it could be assuming both of those are right. Iv been told it could be a cracked block or a bad radiator but dont really know. Any, any help, suggestions or constructive advise would be greatly welcomed. Thanks.

Did you reinstall the thermostat correctly?
Is your fan clutch or electric fan working properly?
Have you tried a back flush on your cooling system?

The system is pretty simple and straight forward. Start by flushing the radiator and motor with cold water, pull the thermostat and test it in a pot of hot water and a thermometer. Blow air through the system Ns see I'd you have M obstruction, test the compression on each cylinder and make sure they are pretty close In value.

If the thermostat and pump are installed correctly, it may be a bad radiator. It could also be just a bad hose. Unless you're getting a lot of white smoke, I seriously doubt your block or head is cracked. It almost sounds like a thermostat problem though.

If you're hearing bubbling sounds you might want to check you oil for water in it also cup your hand over the exhaust pipe when it starts getting hot. It kinda sounds like a blown head gasket but there are several other things to check. Like stated in the above posts, check the thermostat for being upside down also stop by a local Goodyear shop or other big box shop and ask them to test you radiator cap. It's usually the simple things that get overlooked. There's also the possibility that you gat a bad water pump as a replacement. If the pump was a reman it can be the problem and should have a warranty so they will swap it out. While you have the thermostat out start a pot of water boiling, the spring should collapse just before the water boils.

What Sniper said - my Toyota 2.4 developed a head gasket issue - sucking water thru the hole - would suck most of the water and run hot - fill it up and it'd run smooth as grease - but check the simple stuff first - good luck

I was going to guess thermostat, but I see you replaced that already... I'll say that I did ruin one radiator in college by using that leak stopper in a bottle- turns out it will not only plug a leak, but it will also plug the radiator. Although to be totally honest, I'd used the stuff more than once. And I probably didn't follow the instructions (because kids know more than that silly label on the bottle).

I'd look to see if water is running out of the exhaust (a few drips is normal- water is a bi-product of fire). If not, I wouldn't think it was a bad head gasket or cracked block. Any chance there's a freeze plug near the water pump that was leaking water?

Thanks for the suggestion and advise. Its great to know there's good people willing to take a minute to help out...im going to re read the thread tonite, make a list and tackle it tommorow. Stand by!

Back
Top Bottom