• ODT Gun Show this Saturday! - Click here for info and tickets!

2001 Tahoe motor/transmission in 64 pickup??

BIGLEW

Air Force Icon Supporter
AKA: BIG PRETTY - BDR1
446   0
Reaction score
I was driving home yesterday in my 2001 Tahoe that is very dependable, but just having other issues with. Just buckle and dime **** you know?

Then it hit me... Why not put the motor and trans into the 1964 Chevy pickup I've been wanting to put back on the road?? Any reason why I can't?

The 64 currently has no motor in it, and the motor that was in it came out of a 68. It also currently has a three on the tree.

No reason why Ya can't ! You'll need to get a custom wiring harness to get rid of the useless junk . Also look " LS simple " he's local and does the LS swaps with custom brackets and what not .

It may be easier to retrofit the cab and bed to the Tahoe frame.
You would also keep the modern suspension.

Seems like a very similar wheelbase from the Internet.
64 chevy 115"
01 Tahoe 116"
http://www.chuckschevytruckpages.com/bodyswaps.html

I'm no mechanic but that seems to be a ton of work... I think I'd rather do and engine / tranny swap. But I could be wrong.

Those things go 300K miles easy.
I'd find an old under dash A/C unit and plumb it to the Tahoe's compressor for added creature comfort.
If the Tahoe's throttle pedal is DBW, you can even rig up cruise control.

^^^
DBW=is drive be wire

sell the tahoe and build a real small block up keeping it
as original as possible

that swap will be more of a pain in the arse than its worth

^^^
DBW=is drive be wire

sell the tahoe and build a real small block up keeping it
as original as possible

that swap will be more of a pain in the arse than its worth
I disagree. There are so many aftermarket kits these days that include high pressure fuel pumps and complete conversion harnesses that it would not take as much effort as one would imagine if you are mechanically inclined.

Building a SBC to the same power as a stock 5.3 would never be as cheap as just buying a 5.3/4l60E take out with harness and ECM.

Hell, you can find 6.0 completed packages for around $2K if you shop smart and that is WITH an accessory drive.

Back
Top Bottom