• ODT Gun Show & Swap Meet - May 4, 2024! - Click here for info

200yrd Rimfire Rifle Match, RBGC, Dawsonville, GA

I may try and get out there with my Remington 513. By the way I am in the picture just below you with a 1929 Winchester model 52. Wish I still had that rifle.

What is the “recommended” gear? (Excluding gun)

Been thinking about trying this out but not sure what I’ll need to try it out. I’d like to make it down to watch/talk to a few people this weekend but not able to make it this weekend

What is the “recommended” gear? (Excluding gun)

Been thinking about trying this out but not sure what I’ll need to try it out. I’d like to make it down to watch/talk to a few people this weekend but not able to make it this weekend

Not much, everyone is really friendly and will let you barrow a mat and spotting scope.
Next match is Nov 3rd, come shoot. It's best just to shoot and learn as you go.
Everyone was a first time shooter at some point. Let me know and we can squad together next month.

Items you see people use: Rifle, ammo, spotting scope, mat, glove
They have several divisions:
--Light Rifle/Sling/Irons
--Light Rifle/Sling/Scope
--Heavy Rifle/Sling/Irons
--Heavy Rifle/Sling/Scope
--Bipod/Irons
--Bipod/Scope

So, they had this shoot yesterday and I stupidly decided to do "adulting" instead, with yard work and household chores taking priority over playing with rifles in the great outdoors.
That was dumb, and I'm kicking myself now. I wish I'd gone.
But, on the other hand, I recently acquired a fixed 6X scope from Biker13, and I think I'm going to replace the 4X scope on one of my 10/22 rifles with that more powerful one, with 100-200 yard shooting in mind for that particular rifle.

Who here wants to do the next shoot at Riverbend?

P.S. It's prone shooting, not from a benchrest.

Although maybe they have an F-class where you can use a portable rest that you put on the grass in front of you, or shoot from a bipod with a small sandbag at the toe of your stock, etc.

The next one at Riverbend Gun Club is on Saturday, June 4th. I'm marking my calendar.

P.S. Although there are plenty of people there who will let you borrow a spotting scope, as I recall you don't need one if you're shooting a rifle with any kind of magnifying scope on it.
The shots are all slow fire, and individually spotted. Meaning as soon as your bullet goes through the target (and makes the dirt jump in the embankment behind it), the guy who is assigned to your target will pull it down and mark your bullet hole with a bright colored disc either 2" or 3" diameter, and send the target back up for you to see. You fire your next shot even while that shot-spotter disc is still in place, and it's no big deal if you hit it. They can take a lot of hits before they're no longer useable, and there's a box of extras down there in the target pit area.

If you're shooting open sights or a non-magnifying optic, it's good to have a spotting scope or at least a pair of binoculars you can use to check the target in between shots.
In slow fire, you have about a minute to fire each shot.

EDITED: Correction-- you'll need the use of a pretty powerful spotting scope if they do a 10 shot or 20 shot string of fire, where there is no marking done until after the shooting is completed.
Then the target discs are smaller, like only 1" diameter, and the pit people write your actual numbers on a chalkboard and send that up for you to see, along with your marked target.
Another shooter on your same position along the firing like will "score" for you-- and you'll have to do that when it's his turn on the firing line, shooting. That requires that you can read handwritten numbers in chalk that are only about 3" tall.

A9CCF422-328F-471D-968A-37C3579ED07A.jpeg
7B29E6A5-8C45-4AAA-A15F-CBC5C8A7E6AD.jpeg

This rifle did well at 100 yards, prone.
I will use it at the next 200 yard rimfire match.
Or, maybe the "hunting rifle" match
****** EDITED: Hunting Rifle is for centerfire rifles only and it does go out to 500 m or 600 yards depending on which range is used.*********

Back
Top Bottom